Air Pilots, Flight Engineers & Flying Instructors
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Air pilots fly fixed wing aircraft and helicopters to provide air transportation and other services such as crop spraying and aerial surveying. Air pilots are employed by airline and air freight companies, and by other public and private sector aircraft operators. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Pilot profile - Canadian Forces, Department of National Defence
- Life of a Pilot - Air Canada Pilots Association
- Ask the Captain: A typical day for a pilot - USA Today
- A Day in the Life of a Pilot - The Princeton Review
- A Day in the Life - article from Skies magazine
- Career Exploration Profile: Helicopter Pilot - Let's Talk Science
The University of Manitoba does not offer any specialized training or educational programs that include pilot training. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan that suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Pilot Career Centre Canada - lists aviation schools in Canada
- Royal Canadian Air Force
- Pilot Career Centre USA - aviation schools in the U.S.
- Search Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Canada's Best Jobs 2018: Pilot & Flying Instructor (#14) - Canadian Businessmagazine
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Manitoba Aviation Council
- Canadian Federal Pilots Association
- Air Line Pilots Association, International
- Air Canada Pilots Association
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Air Transport Association of Canada (ATAC)
- National Airlines Council of Canada
- Airlines for America
- Helicopter Association of Canada - Operator Members
- Helicat Canada - Heliskiing Members
- Canadian Council for Aviation & Aerospace
- List of Air Ambulances in Canada - from Wikipedia
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.