Air Traffic Controller and related occupations
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Air traffic controllers direct air traffic within assigned airspace, and control moving aircraft and service vehicles at airports. Flight service specialists provide pilots with flight information essential to aviation safety. Flight dispatchers authorize airline flights over assigned routes. Air traffic controllers and flight service specialists are employed by NAV Canada and the Canadian Forces. Flight dispatchers are employed by airline and air services companies and by the Canadian Forces. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Aerospace Control Officer profile - Canadian Forces, Department of National Defence
- Air Navigation Careers - NAV Canada overview of Tower Control, Area Control, Flight Service Specialist (AAS) and Flight Service Specialist (FIC)
- Choose Your Aviation Career Flight Path - from Transport Canada
- Aviation Careers: Air Traffic Control Specialists - info and videos from the U.S. FAA
- Career Explorer by Sokanu - Air Traffic Controller (U.S. occupational profile)
- Air Traffic Controller - Fly Canada
The University of Manitoba does not offer any specialized training or educational programs that include pilot training. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan that suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Air traffic controllers and flight service specialists require completion of a NAV Canada training program which includes structured in-class and on-the-job training.
Explore Pathway Options
- NAV Canada Training and Recruitment
- Canadian Forces - Air Traffic Control Officer - select Training and Entry Plan tabs
- Federal Aviation Administration (U.S.) - Training - list includes Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative Program
Information for foreign-trained Air Traffic Controllers - from the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Best Jobs in Canada 2018: The Top 25 - Air Traffic Controller (#11) - Maclean's magazine
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Air Traffic Control Association (CATCA)
- National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA) (U.S.)
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- NATCA job board (U.S.)
- NAV Canada
- Canadian Forces
- Transport Canada
- Air Transport Association of Canada - members
- Canadian Airports Council - members
- Federal Aviation Administration (U.S.)
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
These external resources may provide you with additional information about the occupation and opportunities to build experience:
- Article: Making airwaves with a career in air traffic control at NAV Canada - JobPostingsmagazine
- NATCA Insider - Facility Spotlights, Flight Assists stories, and more
- Air Traffic Control websites - from Thirty Thousand Feet Aviation Directory
- Article: Protecting Canada's Airspace - Royal Canadian Air Force
- Article: Edmonton air traffic controller wants more women to get their wings - CBC
- Article: Eight air traffic control myths busted - from the NATS (U.K.)
- Industry News - from CATCA (requires login)