Become a Healthy U volunteer
Do you have a passion for Health and Wellness? Do you want experience and training in health promotion and prevention? Are you interested in an opportunity to be involved in the health and well-being of your peers? Then Healthy U at the University of Manitoba is looking for you!
On this page
Why volunteer with Healthy U?
The Healthy U volunteer program is an opportunity for students to become health leaders on campus and gain hands-on experience in the field of health promotion and prevention. A Healthy U volunteer is a highly trained individual who is committed to educating their peers and raising awareness on a variety of health and wellness topics related to mental health, sexual health and substance use that may affect students during their time at university and beyond.
What do Healthy U volunteers do?
Healthy U volunteers provide mental health, sexual health, and overall wellness education through office hours, outreach events, workshops and presentations to groups, and online content.
Once per week, each Healthy U volunteer will be required to fill drop-in office hours for 2 hours per week to create blog posts and online content. Office hours are not required during the final examination period – Healthy U volunteers are invited to volunteer to staff office hours during those times.
Three times per year, volunteers will plan, design, create and host an interactive online outreach event, presentation or workshop event to educate University of Manitoba students on health related topics.
Contribute to online health and wellness content including social media accounts on health-related topics, contribute to the Healthy U Blog as well as promote Healthy U activities through UM Today, Student Weekly, etc.
Promoting health and wellness resources on and off campus.
Collaborate with other student groups or organization/departments on campus to address specific health and wellness needs by supporting, collaborating and attending health and wellness related events.
What is expected of Healthy U volunteers?
Students who are chosen to be part of the program are required to:
- Commitment to volunteer with the program for the 2022-2023 academic term.
- Be enrolled as a University of Manitoba undergraduate student for the duration of the 2022-2023 academic year.
2022 - 2023 commitment
- Attend and complete mandatory fall training and team building
- Be available each Friday in September from 2:30 – 4:30 pm for additional topic related training.
- Be available each Friday during 2022-2023 the academic year from 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm for Healthy U team meetings.
- The commitment and expectation of the program is 3.5 - 6 hours weekly either in-person or online.
What are the benefits of being part of Healthy U?
- Develop highly sought-after skills transferable to the workforce such as planning and project development, group facilitation, health education, and interpersonal skills.
- Gain experience volunteering in the field of health and wellness.
- Be involved in a multi-pronged approach to addressing the health education interests of your peers.
- Gain a sense of community and belonging.
- Receive University of Manitoba Co-Curricular Record (CCR) recognition.
- Participate in additional training such as Bringing in the Bystander and Responding to Disclosures.
We are looking for someone who is:
- committed and caring
- disciplined and driven
- a team-player
Someone who demonstrates:
- a strong interest in health and wellness.
- positive energy
- strong communication skills
- a willingness to do public speaking and approach students to speak with them
- a willingness to be a positive role model
- a familiarity with social media and/or basic computer skills
Apply to become a Healthy U volunteer
Applications to volunteer with Healthy U during the 2022 - 2023 academic year are now closed.
To sign up for updates, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health and Wellness
Room 469 UMSU University Centre
65 Chancellor’s Circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada