Dr. Neeloffer Mookherjee obtained her Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in microbiology (2001) from the University of Victoria, and subsequently completed her postdoctoral fellowships at the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization (VIDO), and the University of British Columbia. Dr. Mookherjee joined the University of Manitoba as a faculty member within the department of internal medicine, section of proteomics in 2008.
Dr. Mookherjee’s research program provides access to expertise in immunology, cell biology, biochemistry, mass spectrometry and bioinformatics, which is perfectly suited to provide a strong foundation of knowledge for undergraduate and graduate students, and postdoctoral training. Her trainees are also integrated within the department of immunology, and the Biology of Breathing Research Group in CHRIM. These diverse research environments allow her trainees to directly interact with highly skilled personnel at different stages of their careers in both basic and clinical science. Dr. Mookherjee’s research group is an inclusive environment, committed to equity, diversity and inclusion.
Dr. Mookherjee is the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Sex and Gender Science Chair in Respiratory Health. Her research program integrates Sex and Gender Based Analyses (SGBA), primarily sex as a biological variable, in the regulation of inflammation and response to therapy in the lungs.
Dr. Mookherjee is a strong advocate for women in science, and is the current Chair of WISDOM (Women In Science: Development, Outreach and Mentorship) initiative at the Rady Faculty of Health Sciences. As a leader in WISDOM she has made valuable contributions that are helping to mitigate some of the barriers that are impeding the participation of women in academic and professional leadership positions. She is recognized for her excellence and distinction in mentoring academic women in science.
- Postdoctoral Training, University of British Columbia, BC, Canada
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization, Sask., Canada
- PhD, University of Victoria, B.C., Canada (2001)
- Master of Science, University of Bombay, India (1993)
- Bachelor of Science, University of Bombay, India (1989)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Sex and Gender Science Chair in Circulatory and Respiratory Health (2020)
- The Ed Kroeger Mentorship Award, In recognition of Excellence and Distinction in Mentorship, Teaching and Research, provided by the Health Sciences Graduate Student Association, The University of Manitoba (2019)
- Michelle Harkness Mentorship Award – Mentorship Development Grant ($4,500), The Allergy, Genes & Environment (AllerGen) National Network (2019)
- Teaching Awards, department of immunology, University of Manitoba, (2014-2015, 2012-2013)
Visit Neeloffer Mookherjee's ORCID profile or Google Scholar page for a complete listing.
Neeloffer Mookherjee profile