I was born in Montreal, Canada. After completing a degree in health sciences and music at Marianopolis College, I attended medical school at McGill University. I subsequently completed residency training in internal medicine at the University of British Columbia, as well as a Master’s degree in experimental medicine.
My Master’s thesis focused on the design of novel osmotic agents for use in peritoneal dialysis. Next, I attended Western University for fellowship training in critical care, as well as the Clinician Investigation Program. I then completed Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) training in medical biophysics at Western University, where I focused on applied microvascular physiology and oxygen delivery in sepsis. Following this research and clinical training, I was recruited as a clinician-scientist to the University of Manitoba, department of internal medicine.
I am an active member in Canadian research networks in critical care, and have received numerous awards of merit throughout my research training. When I am not spending time in the lab or clinic, I enjoy cooking, hiking, and traveling with my wife, Rachel, and playing with my cats, Leo and Sterling.
- PhD, Medical Biophysics, Western University (2021)
- Clinical Investigator Program (CIP), Western University (2017)
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC), Critical Care (2015)
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC), Internal Medicine (2014)
- Master of Science, Experimental Medicine, University of British Columbia (UBC) (2013)
- Medicinæ Doctorem et Chirurgiæ Magistrum (MDCM) , McGill University (2009)
- Zweifach Student Travel Award; Microcirculatory Society (2019)
- Outstanding Trainee Award; Canada Critical Care Forum (2018)
- Winner, Poster Category; ACP National Associates Abstracts Competition (2013)
- G. B. John Mancini Resident Research Achievement Award; UBC Internal Medicine (2012)
- Young Investigator Award; International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis (2012)
Visit Asher Mendelson's ORCID profile or ResearchGate page for a complete listing.
Asher Mendelson's profile