Dr. Alan Katz is the Director of the Manitoba Centre for Health Policy and professor in the departments of community health sciences and family medicine. He received his medical training at the University of Cape Town in South Africa.
He is a past chair of the Health Research Ethics Board in the Max Rady College of Medicine, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences.
His research interests are focused on Primary Care delivery, including quality of care indicators, knowledge translation and disease prevention. He is the principle investigator or co-investigator on grants totally more than $10 million.
- Bachelor of Science, University of Cape Town
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of Cape Town
- Master of Science, University of Manitoba
- Mental Health & Prevention 2019 Article of the Year Award: Interventions aimed at reducing poverty for primary prevention of mental illness: A scoping review (2019)
- Distinguished Poster Award: Schultz A, Halas G, Hurl K, Rothney J, Wener P, Enns J, Holmqvist M, Katz A. ‘A Critical Review of Effectiveness and Tobacco Dependence Treatment Interventions: A scoping review study’. Presented at CFPC Family Medicine Forum, November 13, 2016. Colorado Springs, CO (2016)
- Distinguished Paper Award: Katz A, Chateau D, Taylor C, Valdivia J, McCulloch S. ‘Measuring the social determinants of health with linked administrative data’. Presented at The College of Family Physicians of Canada, Family Medicine Innovations in Research and Education Day, Family Medicine Forum, November 9, 2016, Vancouver, BC (2016)
- Manitoba College of Family Physicians Award of Excellence (2016)
- President’s Award, Northern American Primary Care Research Group (2014)
- Manitoba Health Research Council/Heart and Stroke Foundation Primary Prevention Research Chair (2013 - 2018)
- Best Research Award: Global perspectives on chronic disease prevention and management: Second International Conference (2007)
- MMSF Clinical Research Professorship in Population Medicine, Three year award ($50,000/year) by the Manitoba Medical Services Foundation (2006 - 2009)
- FCFP - Fellowship College of Family Physicians of Canada (1999)
View Alan Katz’s ORCID profile for a complete listing. You may also visit his/her ResearchGate or Google Scholar pages.
Alan Katz’s profile