Abdel Soussi Gounni, PhD
Accepting graduate students
Dr. Abdelilah Gounni is a professor of immunology at the Max Rady College of Medicine, University of Manitoba, and a scientist at the Children Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba.
Dr. Gounni’s research interests include the mechanisms of airways diseases and pathways regulating structural and inflammatory cell recruitment, activation and survival.
Over the years, his work has focused on the role of high-affinity IgE receptor (FcepsilonRI), cytokines (interleukin-9, thymic stromal lymphopoeitin), soluble pattern recognition receptor (pentraxin-3) in regulating airway inflammation, airway hyperresponsiveness and remodelling.
Most recently, his lab studies the function, expression and regulation of a neuronal chemo-repellent protein, Sema3E, in asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Dr. Abdelilah Gounni received his PhD training at Pasteur Institute, University of Lille, France. He then underwent training as a National Swiss Foundation Research fellow at the Swiss Tropical Institute University of Basel, and as a postdoctoral fellow at the Meakins-Christie Labs Mc Gill University Montreal, Canada. In 1999, Dr. Gounni was one of only six investigators worldwide recognized with a Pharmacia Allergy Research Foundation fellowship award for his innovative research on IgE receptor mediated inflammation. In 2001, Dr. Gounni joined the Department of Immunology at the University of Manitoba, where he established a competitive program investigating the molecular mechanism of airway chronic diseases.
- B.Sc, Biochemistry, Paul Sabatier University, Toulouse, France (1989)
- DEA, master equivalent in microbiology, Centre de Recherche de Biochimie et Génétique Cellulaire (CRBGC), Centre Nationale de Recherche Scientifique, Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France (1991)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Universite de Lille, Centre d’Immunologie et de Biologie Parasitaire (CIBP), Pasteur Institute, Lille, France (1995)
- Merit Award in Research, University of Manitoba, Canada (2012)
- Manitoba Research Chair in molecular airway inflammation, Winnipeg, Canada (2009)
- Ken Hughes Young Investigator Award for Excellence in Medical Research, University of Manitoba (2008)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research New Investigator Award, Ottawa, Canada (2002)
- Post-doctoral research award, McGill University, Montreal, Canada (2001)
- Ranked 3rd, Henning Lowenstein Award for Research excellence in Allergy, ALko Abello, Denmark (2001)
- Post doctoral fellowship from CAAAIF/Glaxo Welcome/ CIHR, Ottawa, Canada (2000)
- Post doctoral fellowship from Medical Research Council (MRC), Ottawa, Canada (1999)
- International Fellowship Research Award, Pharmacia Allergy Research Foundation. Uppsala, Sweden (1999)
- Post doctoral Fellowship, Montreal Chest Institute-Royal Victoria Foundation, Montreal, Canada (1998)
- Post doctoral Fellowship from Swiss National Foundation, Bern, Switzerland (1996)
- Graduate Studentship from Pasteur Institute, Lille, France (1995)
- PhD Studentship, Merieux Foundation, Lyon, France (1992)
- Section Editor, Frontiers in Allergy Journal, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Associate Editor, Allergy Asthma and Clinical Immunology, Ottawa, Canada. The Official Journal of the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- Editorial Board Member, Clinical Experimental Allergy, London, UK. The Official Journal of the British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Max Rady College of Medicine
Room 471, 750 McDermot Avenue
University of Manitoba (Bannatyne campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3E 0T5 Canada