Graduating students and Microsoft 365
If you have been using Microsoft 365 as a student at UM, you may have downloaded Office apps like Word and Excel to your own computer or devices, or you may be using OneDrive to store files online. You were able to do this because the university purchased licenses for students and staff at the university to use it all for free. When you graduate and leave the university, your access to everything changes.
When you graduate and leave the university, your access to everything except email will be removed.
Your access to Microsoft applications and storage using your UM email address will change:
- Your email account will transition to an alumni account. Note: You are required to change your password and reaccept the Computer Accounts - Usage Agreement every 12 months. If you do not reaccept the usage agreement in 12 consecutive months, your account will be deleted.
- You will lose access to all remaining Office 365 applications and storage after graduation.
- You will have 120 days after the end of your last class to access and download any files and folders you want to save.
If you are graduating and do not plan to continue in another program at UM, we recommend you download any important information from your OneDrive before your graduation day.
If you are continuing as a student at the UM, your access to the Microsoft applications and storage will remain the same.
How to save your OneDrive files and folders
Download your OneDrive files and folders to your personal computer
- Open a web-browser on your device and navigate to https://www.microsoft365.com/
- Sign-in using your UM email address and password. The Office 365 home page will open and display your most recently used applications and documents.
- Launch OneDrive online.
- To download individual or multiple files, select each item (file or folder) by clicking the circle check box that appears.
- In the top navigation, select Download. (You can also right-click the file, photo, or folder, and select Download.)
- If your browser prompts you, choose Save or Save As and browse to the location where you want to save the download. (Some browsers just start saving right away to a Downloads folder on your computer.)
If you select multiple files or folders and then select Download, your browser will start downloading a .zip file containing all the files and folders you selected. If you're in a folder and you select Download without selecting any files or folders, your browser will begin downloading all contents of the folder.
For detailed instructions see:
Use a “move” tool like Microsoft Mover to move your files to another cloud storage service
If you have a personal Microsoft account, you can use Mover to easily transfer your files from your school Microsoft account to your personal Microsoft account.
Microsoft offers free personal accounts with 5GB of storage and a subscription service with up to 6TB of storage. See OneDrive cloud storage pricing and plans for more information.