BMO Financial Group Leader of Tomorrow Scholarships
Each year, awards valued at $16,000 will be given out to six exceptional Canadian high school graduates who demonstrate outstanding leadership potential and academic giftedness.
The application for the 2024/25 BMO Leader of Tomorrow Scholarships is now closed.
Complete applications and all required documentation must be received by December 1st each year
Visit our Financial Aid and Awards page to learn about additional opportunities.
The University of Manitoba is a place where you can define who you really are. We don't just embrace big dreamers, we encourage them. We recognize the potential of our prospective students and have developed a program to promote strong leaders within the university community. The BMO Financial Group Leader of Tomorrow Scholarship program highlights exceptional high school graduates who combine outstanding leadership potential with academic giftedness. Each scholarship is valued at $16,000, allocated over four years of study.
A total of nine awards will be given out to students entering any of the direct-entry programs of the University of Manitoba in September 2024. Six of the awards will be given to students graduating from a high school within Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario, and three of the awards will be given out at the national level to students graduating from a Canadian high school found outside of Manitoba. In addition, three awards are available for Indigenous students (please see the BMO Indigenous Leader of Tomorrow Scholarships webpage).
BMO Financial Group Leader of Tomorrow Scholarships will be offered to students who:
- have achieved a high school average of at least 90 per cent calculated on the basis of results in (or equivalent courses for Canadian students outside of Manitoba):
- English 30S or Français 30S and Anglais 30S
- Mathematics 30S (either pre-calculus 30S or applied 30S only)
- the highest marks in three of Biology 30S, Chemistry 30S, Physics 30S, History 30F, Geography 30S, Computer Science 30s, or a language at the 30S level other than those accepted for (1.1) above;
- have demonstrated evidence of leadership qualities and future potential;
- have demonstrated evidence of a high level of communication skills;
- have a record of community involvement (e.g., school, local community city-wide, regional, national, international);
- have demonstrated evidence of special abilities other than those shown by academic results (e.g., artistic, athletic, or linguistic skills, literary accomplishments);
- have completed a University of Manitoba application for admission by the December 1 deadline, including payment of application fee.
Recipients will be required to present a minimum 90 per cent average based on those courses eligible for the University of Manitoba General Entrance Scholarships.
New application submission instructions for 2024/25:
Recommenders (References) Information
• Ensure you provide ample time for the recommender you choose to provide feedback by the application deadline. Regardless of when you send the recommender a request, all portions of the application are due on December 1st.
• Pay close attention to the recommender type you are selecting. You must have only 1 of each type.
• Choose a recommender that will be able to provide enough information about you for the selection committee review.
• Please ensure you are able to submit your recommendation of the applicant by December 1st.
• Please include as much information as you can that showcases your experience with the applicant.
• If you are not able to fulfil a recommender request from the applicant, please advise the applicant with ample time to find another recommender.