Customer Service Centre

The O&M Customer Service Centre is the University community’s conduit for all facilities support, including requests for maintenance and repair work, minor renovations, materials handling and delivery, and caretaking services.

Submit a maintenance request

If you require immediate assistance outside of these hours due to a building emergency (e.g. elevator failures, floods, power outages, mechanical system failures, safety issues), please call 204-474-6281 to get in contact with the Central Energy Plant.

To submit a maintenance request:
If you have a UMNetID, you can use the online form.  It is checked Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Services that can be requested online include:

  • General Repairs
  • Temperature and air quality problems
  • Lighting and electrical problems
  • Plumbing problems
  • Moving services
  • Delivery services
  • Snow removal

Please provide as much detail as possible in the ‘request details’ section so your request can be triaged accordingly.

Submit an online maintenance request

If you need help with the form, refer to our guide with screenshots (PDF).

If you do not have a UMNetID, please call 204-474-6281 to submit your request.

To get a copy of the work order for fund reconciliations:
A copy of your work order is provided to either the requester or on site office staff by our trades who are completing the work. Please ensure these are retained for reconciliation purposes.

To reference a work order to an ID charge:
Your ID charge will have the work order number listed in the information regarding the charge.

To pay for services:
Depending on the nature of your request, the cost of the associated work may be borne by the requesting department.

Customer Service Centre team

Our team of knowledgeable Customer Service Representatives are dedicated to ensuring that client’s needs are met in an efficient and professional manner, and act as a liaison between the client and the respective maintenance department.

Hours of operation:
Monday to Friday, 8:00a.m. to 4:15p.m.
Closed on all holiday’s observed by UM.

Paying for services

Depending on the nature of your request, the cost of the associated work may be borne by the requesting department. Please read our Service Requests and Charging Policy and Procedures to learn more about what is considered non-billable work vs. billable work.

For billable work, please provide an authorized FOAP with your request. If you forget, your Customer Service Representative will reach out for this information. Following the completion of billable work, our trade’s staff will leave a copy of the work order with either the requester or on-site office staff.

Please retain these work orders for your department’s reconciliation purposes. Internal customers are to use the new process in FAST to view ID charges, as ID charge reports are no longer generated.

Upon completion of a billable work order, the charge will appear within a month.

    If you have a billing enquiry, please reach out to your Customer Service Representative at 204-474-6281, or

    Please provide the following information:

    • Work request number
    • Journal voucher/external billing number

    Current Billing Rates for O&M Services (PDF)

    Calculation of Billing Rates for O&M Services (PDF)

    Quick access forms

    O&M contacts and departments

    General Services

    General Services provides an extremely diverse range of services for the University of Manitoba, primarily, but not limited to, the Fort Garry Campus. These services include:

    • Grounds management (arboriculture, horticulture and landscaping)
    • General maintenance (snow removal, road and sidewalk maintenance, signage and much more)
    • Waste and recycle management
    • Transport and delivery service (Bannatyne, Fort Garry, mail, Library, Bookstore, audio/visual and Central Stores deliveries)
    • Accessibility transport services for students and staff (contact Student Accessibility Services)
    • Operation of Wallace Storage Facility 
    • University campus moving services (for small in-building moves contact Caretaking Services)
    • Special events set-up (Can provide and set up chairs, tables, fencing and stage)
    • Mail services


    Minor Project Services

    Maintenance services encompasses the carpenters, cabinet makers, painters and locksmiths.The work they do can involve general maintenance requests all the way to complete renovations. These services include:

    • Office, lab, and classroom renovations (including custom cabinetry)
    • Audio/Visual upgrades such as new podiums and ceiling mounts for audio/visual equipment
    • Countertop installations, design/build bathroom vanities, desk, wall units, and shelving
    • Install a variety of ceilings, carpet tile and vinyl floor tiles
    • Painting, taping, and drywalling
    • Rekey buildings, repair locks, replace door hardware, change door cylinders, install door closers and weatherstripping


    Electrical Services

    The Electrical and Life Safety team provide quality workmanship in the construction, operation, maintenance and repair of the electrical and fire alarm systems across the campuses. The services include:

    • Regular and preventative maintenance for all electrical and life safety systems at the university ensuring a safe environment
    • Electrical upgrades, renovations and new construction
    • Reset breakers
    • Wiring and connections for new equipment
    • Fire alarm, sprinkler, generator, emergency lighting installation and legislated testing and inspections
    • Emergency response to power outages


    Plumbing and Steam Shop

    The Plumbing and Steam Shop consists of various trades such as Plumbers, Steamfitters, and Insulators. They are responsible for the operation, maintenance, and repair of the water, sewer, and steam systems in campus buildings, including sump pumps, chilled water pumps, backflow devices, pressure relief valves, humidifiers, and insulation of the associated lines. This includes ensuring that all the University buildings are in compliance with applicable codes and regulations.

    • Preventative maintenance for all plumbing and steam needs
    • Provide essential utility and services to all the facilities
    • Provide manpower for renovations and new construction


    Refrigeration and Controls Shop

    The Refrigeration and Controls Shop consists of Refrigeration Mechanics and Controls Technicians. They are responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, and automated building controls. This includes ensuring that all the University buildings are in compliance with applicable codes and regulations. They also monitor building mechanical systems to ensure that energy management targets are being met.

    • Preventative maintenance for all HVAC systems, including air handling units and air conditioning units
    • Maintenance, repair, and replacement of the Delta Control System
    • Provide manpower for renovations and new construction
    • Work with the Central Energy Plant and Plumbing/Steam Shop as necessary to provide essential heating and air conditioning to all the buildings


    Central Energy Plant (CEP)

    The Central Energy Plant (former Powerhouse) provides heating and cooling to most of the buildings at the Fort Garry Campus. The Central Energy Plant is operated by power engineers that also monitor all building systems and respond immediately to trouble and emergency calls twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

    Some services include:

    • Effectively operate all building systems and infrastructure
    • Operate and maintain the powerhouse and refrigeration plant necessary to provide the essential heating and refrigeration to all the buildings
    • Monitor all building systems and respond immediately to trouble calls, mechanical failures and emergencies 24/7. These services not only minimize disruption to staff, students, and faculties, but also reduce associated costs and damages.
    • Manage the service contract for the elevator systems on campus


    Caretaking Services

    The Caretaking department is committed to sustaining a healthy work, study, and research space while striving to minimize our environmental footprint through the use of environmentally preferable products and materials. .

    Our employees provide a number of essential services beyond their daily cleaning initiatives. These services include:

    • Caretaking services to all campus buildings
    • Swimming Pool day to day operation and maintenance
    • Ice-making in Max Bell Centre
    • Respond to emergencies  (e.g. Floods, spills, etc., visual inspection of fire extinguishers, weekly inspection of emergency eyewash stations and inspection of emergency fire doors)


    Bannatyne - Operations and Maintenance

    Bannatyne Campus Operations & Maintenance is responsible for providing maintenance and caretaking services to the University of Manitoba’s Rady Faculty of Health Sciences teaching and research facilities.

    Services offered:

    • General and specialized cleaning, grounds maintenance, snow removal, special functions set-up, and moving of furniture and equipment.
    • Maintenance and repairs services include electrical, carpentry, painting, plumbing, fire protection, refrigeration, natural gas, building fixtures, furnishings, equipment, reverse osmosis systems, fire alarm systems, heating, ventilation, air conditioning and temperature control systems.
    • Contracted maintenance services include elevator repairs, glass repairs, roof repairs, window washing, snow removal and others as required.
    • Where requested and as time permits, space upgrades, modifications and renovations.
    • Rekeying locks, door hardware repair/replacement.
    • Card Access services including maintenance and repair of card access equipment/systems and card encoding.


    Building Access

    Keys and Building Access


    Physical Plant maintains all door hardware at the University, including locks and keys. If you require a key, the request should be made through your Departmental Key Coordinator.

    Key Approval Forms may be scanned by all Departmental Key Coordinators (at all campuses) to

    Card Access

    Physical Plant also administers the University of Manitoba card access system, which affords access to some areas via staff or student card, allows door locking and unlocking on a predetermined schedule, and provides an audit trail of card swipes.

    Requests for new card readers may be submitted to Physical Plant on a Project Request (PDF) form, complete with departmental FOAP.

    Requests for general information, card encoding, programming, schedule changes, reports, or repairs, as well as scanned Card Approval Forms, may be submitted to:

    We are available for card encoding during the following times Monday - Friday:

    • 8:30-9:30
    • 10:15-11:45
    • 1:00-2:30
    • 3:00-3:30

    Outside of these hours cards can be dropped off in the drop box on the west entrance of Physical Plant, please include contact info or send an email to, we will get the card back to you in a timely manner. 


    Contractors requiring building access are to make arrangements with the Physical Plant Project Coordinator who is responsible for the project.

    Policies and procedures

    For information regarding building access policies and procedures, including a detailed description of the role of the Departmental Key/Card Coordinator, please refer to the University Building Access Control Policy and Procedures.


    Health and Safety Programs


    Zero Waste Coordinator

    The Zero Waste Coordinator works in collaboration with Caretaking Services and General Services along with Office of Sustainability to enhance our Waste Reduction and management programs on campus. The Zero Waste Coordinator will coordinate and lead various projects, activities and processes involving waste and is responsible for the supervision and management of all waste streams at the University, including the administration and coordination of the Re-shop.