All labs using biological materials are subject to inspection by the Biosafety Program officer or their designate. An inspection program verifies that biosecurity and biosafety program requirements are being met.
Types of Inspections and documentation
Types of inspections
This inspection is to be performed every six months to one year by the Principal Investigator or designate and documentation is to be maintained in the lab. Refer to the Biosafety Lab Self-Inspection Checklist (PDF).
Environmental Health and Safety inspection
The biosafety program officers or designates are responsible for regular inspections of spaces using biological materials. A member of the biosafety program will contact you to confirm the inspection before we visit your lab, or you can request an inspection for your facility.
Inspections by external agencies
University labs can be inspected by external regulatory agencies. CL2-Regulated and CL3 spaces are specifically subjected to inspection by the Public Health Agency of Canada.
Documented records of regular lab safety inspection must be maintained and provided to inspectors on request.
Request an inspection by EHS staff
Instructions to access inspection history and violations
To correct violations/deficiencies for an inspection, please follow the instructions below:
- Login to the EHSA database using your username and password
- You can also use the form in the link above to request access if required.
- Under the "INSPECTIONS" box, click Uncorrected Inspection Violations:
- A list of the inspection violations will appear.
- Click Select next to the violation to be corrected
- A screen detailing the violation will appear as below:
- On this screen, you can describe how the violation has been addressed in the response block, the date of correction, and who it was completed by. Click Save when completed or Cancel to return to the previous screen.
- This will take you back to the screen in step 4 where remaining violations can be addressed following steps 4-6.
- Once all the violations have been addressed, EHS will receive an email indicating you have completed responding to the inspection. We will contact you if we are in need of further information.