Professor & Department Head
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Room E1-412 EITC
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 5V6
Additive Manufacturing, Aerospace Materials, Corrosion and other Environmental Degradation of Materials.
Elucidation of Phase Transformation Reactions in Advanced Materials, Diffusion Study and Microstructural Analysis.
Research is focused on development of improved manufacturing techniques and acquiring better understanding of advanced aerospace materials.
Dr. Olanrewaju Ojo graduated with a First Class Honors BSc degree from the Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria, in 1997. He obtained his MSc and PhD from the University of Manitoba, in 2002 and 2005, respectively, with a prestigious award of the University of Manitoba Distinguished PhD Dissertation Award for ground-breaking novel academic contributions. He received the prestigious NSERC post-doctoral research fellowship and worked as a post-doctoral research fellow at the University of Manitoba and Ecole Polytechnique in Montreal in 2005. In January 2006, he started as a tenure-track Assistant Professor at the University of Manitoba and was promoted to Associate Professor and Full Professor in 2009, and 2013, respectively. Dr. Ojo is an internationally recognized expert in the field of processing of advanced aerospace materials. He has over 200 international journal publications, conference papers and presentations. His publications, based on the Google Scholars database, have been cited more than 4500 times. One of his papers won the Award of the Best Paper out of all the papers published in the Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly in 2007 and one of his research work received the 2009 Microscopical Society of Canada Gerard T. Simon Award for the Best Presentation. Dr. Ojo was awarded 2013 Rh Award for outstanding contributions to research and scholarship, and he was nominated by the University of Manitoba for the Canadian prestigious 2014 Steacie Prize award. In 2014, he received the Excellence in Engineering Teaching award. He also received the 2014 Govindraj Memorial Research Award by The Indian Institute of Welding Prize / Award for Outstanding Research Contributions. He has supervised and co-supervised more than 80 graduate students, post-doctoral research fellows and research associates, who are now either pursuing further study or employed in various manufacturing and energy companies, academia and government laboratories across Canada and overseas. His expertise is widely sought after by various international aerospace companies and has received more than $7 million in research supports since 2006.
Dr. Ojo is seeking students with excellent skills in numerical modeling and simulation and high proficiency in solving sets of partial differential equations from the first principles using the finite difference method for graduate studies.
1. O. Olaye and O. A. Ojo, "Disparity in the concentration dependence of interdiffusion coefficient under 1D and 2D diffusion interface migration", Results in Physics. 38: Article number 10566, 2022.
2. O. C. Afolabi and O. A. Ojo, "A new numerical model for simulating transient liquid phase (TLP) bonding of dissimilar materials involving 1D, 2D and 3D solid–liquid interface migration" (In-Press) Philosophical Magazine, 2022.
3. O. C. Afolabi, S. Hassan and O. A. Ojo, "Calculation and Use of Variable Diffusivity for the Analysis of Transient Liquid Phase Bonding Behavior" Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. 53: 3392–3403, 2022.
4. O. Olaye and O. A. Ojo, “A New Analytical Method for Computing Concentration-Dependent Interdiffusion Coefficient in Binary Systems with Pre-existing Solute Concentration Gradient” Journal of Phase Equilibria and Diffusion, Volume 42, Issue 2, Pages 303 – 314, April 2021.
5. O. C. Afolabi, Ojo O. A., “Development of a Numerical Model for Simulating Transient Liquid Phase (TLP) Bonding Involving Two Solid–Liquid Interfaces that Concurrently Undergo 2D or 3D Migration” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. Volume 52, Issue 6, Pages 2287 – 2297, June 2021.
6. H. R. Abedi, O. A. Ojo, “Numerical Modeling of Gas Tungsten Arc Welding of a Newly Developed Cobalt-Based Superalloy” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Volume 52, Issue 11, Pages 5043 – 5054, November 2021.
7. O. E. Bamidele and O. A. Ojo, “Numerical Simulation Study of Temperature Gradient Transient Liquid Phase Bonding with Concentration-Dependent Diffusivity” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. Volume 52, Issue 6, Pages 2261 – 2273 June 2021.
8. O. Olaye and O. A. Ojo, “Time variation of concentration-dependent interdiffusion coefficient obtained by numerical simulation analysis” Materialia, Volume 16 May 2021, Article number 101056.
9. L. Zhang, L. Qi, S. Deng, O. Oguntuase, T. Deng, H. Wang and O. A. Ojo, “Analyses of Anodically Formed Passive Film and Corrosion Behavior of Wire-arc Additive Manufactured ATI 718Plus® Superalloy” Additive Manufacturing, Volume 48, Article number 102443, 2021.
10. N. Kaur, C. Deng and O. A. Ojo, "Effect of solute segregation on diffusion induced grain boundary migration studied by molecular dynamics simulations. Computational Materials Science. 179: Article # 109685, 2020
11. P. Nie, O. A. Ojo and Z. Li, “Numerical modeling of microstructure evolution during laser additive manufacturing of a nickel-based superalloy” Acta Materialia Volume 77, Pages 85-95, 2014