Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Textile chemistry is a highly specialized field that applies the principles of chemistry to the production of textiles, such as those used in clothing, furniture, tire yarn, air bags, and much more. Textile chemists may create new products to meet specific market needs or modify existing products to become more generally marketable. Textile chemistry can be divided into three overlapping areas: dyeing and finishing chemistry, fiber and polymer chemistry, and a newer area that intersects with materials science and involves the blending of different textile materials. In the textile industry, chemists work in research and development, process development, process modification, technical services, environmental testing, and dyeing and finishing operations. (American Chemical Society)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online: Materials Scientist - U.S. resource for occupational information
- OCCinfo by alis: Chemist (includes video) - Alberta-based occupational information
- Textile Chemistry - American Chemical Society: College to Career
- Profile: Clothing/Textile Technologist - U.K. Prospects
- Career Options: Textiles & Clothing - University of California, Davis
- Day in the life of a Textile Manufacturer - The Princeton Review
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit the faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Department of Chemistry - Faculty of Science
- Textile Science - courses moved from Human Ecology to Biosystems Engineering
Exploring Other Education Options
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Chemists & Materials Scientists - U.S. job outlook
- Chemistry Industry Association of Canada - Industry Snapshot
- Canadian Textile Industry information - Government of Canada
- Biotextiles Market Major Manufacturers, Trends, Demand, Share Analysis to 2025 - MarketWatch
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- American Association of Textile Chemists and Colourists (AATCC)
- International Textile and Apparel Association
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Canadian Textile Industry Association - members
- Institute of Textile Science - Canadian organization supporting R&D
- Industrial Fabrics Association International
- National Council of Textile Organizations (U.S.) - members
- AATC corporate members list
- Biociences Association of Manitoba - member directory (incl. biomaterials)
- Chemistry Industry Association of Canada - members and partners
- Chemical Institute of Canada
- Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium
- Canadian Manufactures and Exporters
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.