Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Chemical engineers research, design, and develop chemical processes and equipment, oversee the operation and maintenance of industrial chemical, plastics, pharmaceutical, resource, pulp and paper, and food processing plants and perform duties related to chemical quality control, environmental protection and biochemical or biotechnical engineering. Chemical engineers are employed in a wide range of manufacturing and processing industries, consulting firms, government, research and educational institutions. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, incl. typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- A Day in the Life of a Chemical Engineer - The Princeton Review (U.S.)
- Chemical Engineering Overview - Sloan Career Cornerstone Center
- Sokanu - occupational videos and info (U.S.)
- Interview with a Chemical Engineer (U.S.) - TryEngineering.org
The University of Manitoba does not offer a degree in chemical engineering. However, the university has an agreement with the University of North Dakota (Grand Forks, N.D.) which allows students to transfer into and obtain a degree in chemical engineering from the University of North Dakota after completing the Preliminary Engineering program at the University of Manitoba. Please contact the University of North Dakota for more information on admission and accepted preliminary courses from the University of Manitoba.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit the faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Faculty of Engineering
Exploring Other Education Options
- Search Directories
- Accredited Engineering Programs - Engineers Canada
- Chemical Engineering Education in the U.S. - Sloan Career Cornerstone Center
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupation Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- EGM Engineers Salary Survey - Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba
- EngScape (Engineers Canada microsite) - labour market trends for the engineering profession
- Canada's Best Jobs 2018: The Top 25 - Engineering Manager (#2) - Canadian Business magazine
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba (EGM)
- Canadian Society for Chemical Engineers
- The Engineering Institute of Canada
- Canadian Engineering Regulatory Organizations - provincial listing from Engineers Canada
- National Society of Professional Engineers (U.S.)
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (U.S.)
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.