Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Canadian Certified Pedorthists are orthotic and orthopaedic footwear experts trained in postural analysis, movement patterns, and musculoskeletal examination. More specifically, they focus on the assessment of lower limb anatomy, muscle and joint function, as well as the interaction of the foot and lower limb with the rest of the body. (Pedorthic Association of Canada)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- About Pedorthists - overview and video from the Pedorthic Association of Canada
- Scope of Practice - The College of Pedorthics of Canada
- What is Pedorthics? - from OPCareers
- Day in the Life of a Certified Pedorthist - Pedorthic Association of Canada
- Pedorthist vs Podiatrist- What's the Difference? - from SoleScience
- The Role of Pedorthists in Wound Management - interview from the Canadian Association of Wound Care
The University of Manitoba does not offer training in Pedorthics, but students may complete the required undergraduate study (Kinesiology, Science, Health Sciences, or related field) at U of M before applying to the Pedorthics post-graduate diploma program at Western University. To learn the pre-requisites for that school and other pathway options, please view the links below.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Pathways: Become a Pedorthist in Canada - The College of Pedorthics of Canada
- Diploma in Pedorthics - Western University
- U.S. Accredited Programs - National Commission on Orthotics and Prosthetic Education
- Search Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Collective Agreements - Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals
- 2017 Salary Survey (U.S.) - from The O&P Edge
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Pedorthic Association of Canada
- The College of Pedorthics of Canada
- Pedorthic Footcare Association - Canadian chapter
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Regional Health Authorities - Province of Manitoba
- Health Regions in Canada - listings and maps from Statistics Canada
- Find a Pedorthist - Pedorthic Association of Canada
- Facility Directory - American Board Certification of Orthotics, Prosthetics, Pedorthics
- O&P Facilities Directory (search by country) - from The O&P Edge
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
- Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (also search other Regional Health Authority job boards in MB & Canada)
- Classified Ads & Job Postings - Pedorthic Footcare Association
- Employment Classifieds (U.S.) - The O&P Edge
- AOPA Job Board - American Orthotic & Prosthetic Association
These external resources may provide you with additional information about the occupation and opportunities to build experience.
- Pedorthic Services - Sunnybrook Hospital (Toronto, ON)
- Practice Analysis of Certified Pedorthists (2017) - from the U.S. ABCOP
- Canadian Orthopaedic Association
- Sport Manitoba
- Role of My Pedorthist - Sole Decisions
- How Pedorthists Help You - from Canadian Footwear
- Pedorthic Foundation (U.S.)
- Pedorthics magazine - from the Pedorthic Footcare Association
- The O&P Edge - magazine on prosthetics, orthotics, pedorthics and related fields