Funeral Directors & Embalmers
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Funeral directors co-ordinate and arrange all aspects of funeral services. Embalmers prepare the remains of deceased persons for public visitation and burial. Funeral directors and embalmers are employed by funeral homes (National Occupational Classification).
Find detailed information about the occupation, incl. typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Sokanu - Occupational Profiles:
The University of Manitoba does not offer a specialized educational program leading to a career in Funeral Service. In most provinces including Manitoba, Funeral Directors and Embalmers require licensure through the completion of Diploma and Certificate programs. Please view the links below for more information about the occupation and educational programs in North America.
- Funeral Service Programs - Canadian College of Funeral Services
- Manitoba Educational Programs - Funeral Board of Manitoba
- Directory of Education Programs in the U.S. - American Board of Funeral Service Education
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Government of Canada Job Bank: Explore Careers - Job Market Report
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Morticians, Undertakers, and Funeral Directors job outlook for the U.S
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Funeral Board of Manitoba
- Funeral Service Association of Canada
- National Funeral Directors Association - U.S
- Cremation Association of North America
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.