Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Dentists diagnose, treat, prevent and control disorders of the teeth and mouth. They work in private practice or may be employed in hospitals, clinics, public health facilities or universities. (National Occupational Classification)
All practising dentists are licensed health professionals, qualified to examine and diagnose dental disease, recommend and carry out required treatments and advise patients on all aspects of oral health. (Manitoba Dental Association.)
Find detailed information about the occupation, incl. typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Pursing a Career in Dentistry - from the Canadian Dental Association
- OCCinfo by alis (profile includes video)- Alberta-based occupational information
- Sokanu - includes videos and occupational information
- Dentist (responsibilities/benefits) - from the Manitoba Dental Association
- A Day in the Life of a Dentist - The Princeton Review (U.S.)
- Canadian Dental Officer- description from the Canadian Armed Forces
- Dentist Career Overview - ExploreHealthCareers.org (U.S.)
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit the faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
- College of Dentistry
- Graduate Studies
- Health Careers Access Program (HCAP) - designed to prepare Indigenous Manitobans for entry to the health professions
- Professional Health Access Program - supports Indigenous students who have been accepted into a professional health program
Exploring Other Education Options
- Association of Canadian Faculties of Dentistry
- Accredited Canadian Dental Programs - Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada
- Accredited American Dental Programs - from the American Dental Education Association
- Search Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Canada Job Bank: Trend Analysis : Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Canadian Job Outlook- Canadian Occupational Projection System 2017-2026
- Canadian Institute for Health Information: About Dentists - within annual reports view 'Table of Contents' (tab 3 within Excel doc)
- I want to be a Dentist. What will my salary be? - The Globe & Mail Salaries Series
- Canada's Best Jobs 2018: The Top 25 - Dentist (#13) - Canadian Business magazine
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Manitoba Dental Association
- Canadian Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- The Royal College of Dentists of Canada- the accrediting body for dental specialists in Canada
- Canadian Association of Hospital Dentists
- Canadian Dental Specialties Association - learn about specialties available in Canada
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.