Agricultural & Biological Systems Engineers
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Biological engineers, including Agricultural and Biosystems Engineers, study biological processes and integrate them with engineering principles to develop solutions for a wide variety of technical problems (Discover E). View the links below to learn more.
Please note that while Biomedical Engineering can also fall under the umbrella of Biosystems, a separate page has been created for this specialty. Also note that information about Environmental Engineering can be found on the Civil Engineer page. Select the links to the right to learn more about these fields and other related occupations.
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online is a U.S. resource for occupational information
- Agriculture & Biosystems Engineering Overview- from DiscoverE
- Agricultural Engineering Overview - Sloan Career Cornerstone Center
- Environmental Engineering Overview - Sloan Career Cornerstone Centre
- Career Explorer by Sokanu: occupational profiles and videos (U.S.):
- Environmental Careers Organization (ECO) Canada - Career Profiles
- Discover Careers in Ag and Biological Engineering (2015 publication) - American Society for Agricultural and Biological Engineers
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit the faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and approval process, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Faculty of Engineering
Exploring Other Education Options
Information for foreign-trained Agricultural & Biosystems Engineers - Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupation Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for U.S.
- Engineering Labour Market Report - Engineers Canada
- EngScape (Engineers Canada microsite) - labour market trends for the engineering profession
- Canada's Best Jobs 2018: The Top 25 - Specialized Engineer (#18) - Canadian Business magazine
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Engineers Canada
- Engineers and Geoscientists of Manitoba
- Canadian Society of Bioengineering
- American Society of Agricultural & Biological Engineers
- Institute for Biological Engineering
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Association of Consulting Engineering Companies - Manitoba
- Biosciences Association of Manitoba - member directory
- Manitoba Environmental Industry Association - member directory
- BioTalent Canada
- BIOTE Canada member listing - Canada’s health, industrial and agricultural biotechnology sectors
- Canadian Agricultural Human Resource Council
- Agri-food Innovation Council
- Renewable Industries Canada - member directory
- Canadian Renewable Energy Association - member directory
- Renewable Energy & Clean Tech Canada Directory - from Contact Canada
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
These external resources may provide you with additional information about the occupation and opportunities to build experience.
- UMSU Student Club: UM Agricultural Robotics Club
- UMSU Student Club: Women of Manitoba Engineering Network
- International Commission of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
- Article: Biosystems Engineering - A Multifaceted Approach to Research - Science Careers magazine
- Article: U of M showcases alternative building materials - Manitoba Co-Operator
- Environmental Science & Engineering magazine - Canada's national environmental trade magazine
- Discover Engineering Online
- Engineering Career Guide - industry and employer information from TalentEgg.ca