* A form can be a paper form, electronic form, fillable PDF or Word document, a survey, or fields within an information management system.
Contest/draws/prizes notification statement
Contests, draws, or giveaways are fun ways of getting people to participate in your event, survey, research or presentation.
Most contests, draws or giveaways require the collection of the participant's name and contact information in order to select the winner and make arrangements for the winner to collect their prize.
An individual's name and contact information is considered personal information under The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), therefore a FIPPA notification statement is required on the ballot or entry form.
The following is a standard FIPPA notification statement for contest, draws, or giveaway ballots or entry forms:
Notice Regarding Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information by the University
Your personal information is being collected under the authority of The University of Manitoba Act. The information you provide will be used by the University for the purpose of awarding the contest prize and contacting you in the event that you win the draw. Your personal information will not be used or disclosed for other purposes, unless permitted by The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). If you have any questions about the collection of your personal information, contact the Access and Privacy Office (tel. 204-474-9462), 233 Elizabeth Dafoe Library, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, R3T 2N2.
Download the FIPPA Notification Statement for Contests, Draws or Give-aways (Word) statement for use on your ballots or entry forms.
If you have any questions about the statement, please contact our office.
FIPPA notification for students
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) notification statement regarding the use, disclosure and storage of your personal information now that you have been accepted and/or have enrolled as a UM student.
How your information may be shared
Upon acceptance to a University of Manitoba program, select information collected in your application form may be shared with the appropriate university units and used for the following:
- To authenticate your identity for the provision of a University of Manitoba student number and creation of your official UM student record with the Registrar's Office
- Provision of a UMNetID, which will provide you with a University of Manitoba email account and access to University computer systems, such as UM Learn, Aurora, Libraries, Office 365 for Students
- Administrative research in support of provision of education and general administration of the university
- Registration into courses
- Scheduling of courses and exams
- To determine eligibility for financial aid and awards
- Assessment of on-going academic status and standing
- on-going communications from the university
- To determine eligibility for services and supports available to current university students, such as the Winnipeg Transit UPass Program
- Alumni Relations will be provided with your name, address, awards, degrees, diplomas and certificates earned in order to assist with alumni and donor relations programs
Where your information may be disclosed
Upon acceptance to a University of Manitoba program, select information collected in your application form may be disclosed to the following:
- University of Manitoba Student Union (UMSU) - undergraduate students who are members of UMSU
- Graduate Students' Association (GSA) - graduate students who are members of GSA
- Professional associations and accreditation bodies for the purpose of membership with your professional association and accreditation of the program/degree that you are enrolled in
- Textbook publishing companies for the provision of online materials
- Statistics Canada (see Notification of Disclosure of Personal Information to Statistics Canada under Applicants to the UM)
- Recipient names for all awards (scholarships, fellowships, medals and prizes) may be disclosed to donors and/or the public
Please note, information regarding graduation and awards may be made public.
If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants to the University of Manitoba
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) notification statement regarding the collection, use, disclosure and storage of your personal information that is collected on UM application forms via Radius (Campus Management Corp.).
Notice regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information by the university
Your personal information is being collected under the authority of The University of Manitoba Act. The information you provide will be used for the purposes of determining eligibility for admission and financial aid and awards, assessment of academic status, statistical analysis and communication with the applicant. Your information may be disclosed to other educational institutions for the purpose of determining eligibility for admission into joint-programs and it may be disclosed to government departments and co-sponsoring organizations to determine eligibility for financial aid and awards. Your personal information will not be used or disclosed for other purposes, unless permitted by The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).
If you have any questions about the collection of personal information, contact:
Access and Privacy Office
233 Elizabeth Dafoe Library
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, R3T 2N2
Notice regarding the storage of personal information outside of Canada
The University of Manitoba has taken steps to ensure that its agreement with Campus Management Corp. for the online application services provided by Radius is in compliance with FIPPA. Please be aware that Campus Management Corp. may be transmitted to and stored on servers outside of the University of Manitoba or Canada. The University of Manitoba cannot and does not guarantee protection against the possible disclosure of your data including, without limitation, against possible secret disclosures of data to a foreign authority in accordance with the laws of another jurisdiction.
Notice of disclosure of personal information to Statistics Canada
Statistics Canada is the national statistical agency. As such, Statistics Canada carries out hundreds of surveys each year on a wide range of matters, including education.
It is essential to be able to follow students across time and institutions to understand, for example, the factors affecting enrolment demand at post-secondary institutions. The increased emphasis on accountability for public investment means that it is also important to understand 'outcomes'. In order to conduct such studies, Statistics Canada asks all colleges and universities to provide data on students and graduates. Institutions collect and provide to Statistics Canada student identification information (student's name, student ID number, Social Insurance Number), student contact information (address and telephone number), student demographic characteristics and enrolment information.
The federal Statistics Act provides the legal authority for Statistics Canada to obtain access to personal information held by educational institutions. The information may be used for statistical purposes only, and the confidentiality provisions of the Statistics Act prevent the information from being released in any way that would identify a student.
Students may contact Statistics Canada via e-mail if they have any questions: statcan.PSIS-SIEP.email@example.com
It is with the goodwill and collaboration of post-secondary institutions that we will reach out goal of providing reliable post-secondary education information required to plan for our future.