Arthur Henry Reginald Buller was born August 14, 1874 in Birmingham, England. In 1904, he was appointed the first professor of Botany and Geology at the University of Manitoba, one of the original six professors hired by the University. He served as Head of the Botany Department, was awarded an L.L.B. in 1924, and was made a professor emeritus on his retirement in 1936.

Dr. Buller was integral in developing the scientific community in Winnipeg and creating a laboratory and research based scientific educational program at the University. He won international recognition for his work on fungi (mycology) and wheat rust (plant pathology).

Buller developed a vast network of colleagues and friends and maintained extensive correspondence.  He died in Winnipeg on July 3, 1944 and, in 1963, the Science Building at the University of Manitoba Fort Gary campus was renamed the Buller Biological Laboratories in his honour.

The A.H. Reginald Buller fonds,  you can find:

  • personal and professional correspondence
  • manuscripts relating to Buller’s research and publications
  • glass lantern slides
  • photographs
  • wall charts painted by Buller
  • numerous objects used for scientific experiments
  • and other unique items!

View A.H. Reginald Buller fonds

There are no restrictions on access or use to this material.

Reginald Buller wearing raccoon coat.
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, A.H. Reginald Buller fonds, MSS 184 (A2005-095), Box 4, Item 2
  • Digitized material

    A.H. Reginald Buller fonds in UM Digital Collections

    The drawings included in this digital collection were discovered by faculty of the University of Manitoba Botany Department in Dr. Buller's original map cabinet.  They consist of hand drawn, inked, and watercoloured botanical diagrams and charts. Several of the drawings were commercially produced, although the majority of them were drawn, inked and painted by Dr. Buller himself. 

    It is presumed that Dr. Buller used these drawings in his lectures.  The original drawings date from 1905 to 1920 and are very large in size, often exceeding 3 or 4 feet in height.  They are intricate in their design and beautiful to look at.  One requires no knowledge in the field of botany to appreciate the artistry exhibited by Dr. Buller in the production of these lecture aids.  Yet those with an interest in biological sciences will appreciate the drawings on an even greater level.