English for Professional Purposes
This program focuses on the development of communicative competence in the context of professional disciplines.
On this page:
The ELC will deliver English for Professional Purposes courses remotely for the Winter 2021 term. Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Information and updates can be found at http://umanitoba.ca/coronavirus
The primary goal of the English for Professional Purposes (EPP) program is to provide students with effective skills and strategies for the accurate and confident use of English in the professional context in which one works or intends to work.
Features of the Program:
- Focus is on effective communication strategies and confidence building
- Affordable: only $300 per 30-hour course (one 3-hour class/week for 10 weeks); This equals $10 an hour
- Small class sizes (10-15 students) that emphasize communicative competencies specific to professional purposes
- Opportunities to receive constructive feedback
- Activities to develop valuable intercultural competencies for effective and respectful communication in both the workplace and daily life
- Convenient: courses are delivered remotely
Courses, registration and schedule
To register for English for Professional Purposes (EPP) through the ELC, please complete the EPP registration form (PDF) and submit it to the ELC by email at email@example.com.
Registrations for English for Professional Purposes are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Enrolment is limited, so be sure to register early in order to reserve a spot. If your preferred class section is full, we will put you on a waiting list and notify you if a space becomes available.
You will receive confirmation of your registration and class location via email two to three days before the course start date.
Oral English for Agrologists
The purpose of this course is to support multilingual Agrologists in the development of oral English skills applicable to their professional contexts. Participants will engage in cross-cultural comparisons to improve their intercultural competence, and gain insight into norms of professional communication in Canada. Participants will also receive instruction on pronunciation, with a focus on improving comprehensibility.
Winter 2021: January 26-April 6, Tuesdays, 6 – 9 pm
To be eligible to enroll in this course, applicants must meet the first criterion plus ONE additional criterion (2, 3 or 4):
- English is NOT your first language
- Be an internationally educated Agrologist, and a current member of a related Canadian self-regulatory body (e.g. The Manitoba Institute of Agrologists)
- Be an internationally educated Agrologist who meets the English language proficiency requirements of the University of Manitoba
- Hold a degree in Agrology from a Canadian institution of higher education
Fees and payment options
- Course fee: $300.00 per course
The ELC office accepts online credit card payments. After payment is confirmed, you will receive a copy of the payment receipt via email. Payment must be completed for your registration to be considered complete.
Withdrawal and refund policy
If you are unable to attend a course you have registered for, you must request an official withdrawal by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you stop attending a course without officially withdrawing, you will fail the course.
In order to receive a refund, you must request an official withdrawal by emailing us at email@example.com before a course begins. If this condition is met, we will refund your payment minus a $20 withdrawal fee. No refunds will be given after the first class has been completed.
We reserve the right to cancel any course if there is insufficient enrolment. Students will be notified of any cancellations via email three business days prior to the start of class. Students may register for another course in the current term if the new course has space available. The registration fee will be transferred to the new course. To request a transfer, you must contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 204-474-9251.
English Language Centre
520 UMSU University Centre
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 5V6 Canada