Administrative Officers & Executive Assistants
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Administrative officers oversee and implement administrative procedures, establish work priorities, conduct analyses of administrative operations and co-ordinate acquisition of administrative services such as office space, supplies and security services. They are employed throughout the public and private sectors. (NOC)
Executive assistants co-ordinate administrative procedures, public relations activities and research and analysis functions for members of legislative assemblies, ministers, deputy ministers, corporate officials and executives, committees and boards of directors. They are employed by governments, corporations and associations. (NOC)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian Occupational Descriptions
- O*NET Online: Executive Assistants - U.S Resources for Occupational Information
- Occinfo by alis: Indigenous Liaison – Alberta-based Occupational Information
- A Day in the Life: College of Administrators - The Princeton Review (U.S.)
- Career Profile by Sokanu - U.S.-based occupational information: Executive Assistant
Education requirements vary for Administrative Officer or Executive Assistant, but completion of secondary school is required. A university degree or college diploma in business or public administration may be required. (NOC). Prior experience in office environments may be required.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Search Directories
Information for foreign-trained Administrative Officers - Canadian Information Centre for International Credential
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Administrative Services Managers - Job Outlook for the U.S.
- State of the Profession White Paper (free download) - From the International Association of Administrative Professionals
- Occinfo by alis: Administrative Officers – Wages & Salaries in Alberta
- Executive Assistant Salary & Duties for 2019 - Report From Robert Half
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Association of Administrative Professionals (Canada)
- Canadian Association of University Business Officers
- Canadian Association of Municipal Administrators
- International Association of Administrative Professionals
- National Association for College Admission Counselling (U.S.)
- Privacy & Access Council of Canada
- Canadian Association of Virtual Assistants
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities – Members
- Government of Canada – Departments & Agencies
- Province of Manitoba – Departments
- Universities Canada – Member Universities
- Colleges & Institutes Canada – Members
- Manitoba Chambers of Commerce – Member Directory
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.