Technical Sales Representatives
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Technical sales specialists (wholesale trade) sell a range of technical goods and services, such as scientific, agricultural and industrial products, electricity, telecommunications services and computer services, to governments and to commercial and industrial establishments in domestic and international localities. They are employed by establishments that produce or provide technical goods and services, such as pharmaceutical companies, industrial equipment manufacturing companies, grain elevators, computer services firms, engineering firms and hydroelectric companies. Or, they may be self-employed technical sales specialists/agents who contract their services to other companies. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupation Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Day in the Life of a Pharmaceutical Sales Rep - The Princeton Review
- Interview a Pharmaceutical Sales Rep - from JobShadow.com
- Career Profile: Environmental Technical Salesperson - ECO Canada
- Profile: Technical Sales Specialists - Alternate Careers for Lab Professionals
- Technical Sales and Marketing - profile from American Chemical Society
- Careers in Construction: Technical Salesperson/Supplier - BuildForce Canada
- Career Profile: Sales Representatives (Food, Seed, Feed, Fuel) - from AGCareers.com
A university degree or college diploma in a program related to the product or service is usually required. Experience in sales or in a technical occupation related to the product or service may also be required. Fluency in a specific foreign language, and/or foreign work or travel experience may be required for technical sales specialists seeking employment with companies that import or export technical goods or services. (NOC)
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Exploring Other Education Options
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Medical Sales Salary Reports - from MedReps.com
- Pharmaceutical Industry Profile - Industry Canada, Gov. of Canada
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Professional Sales Association
- National Association of Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives
- Technical Sales Association
- Health Care Manufacturers Management Council
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Bioscience Association of Manitoba - bioscape directory
- BIOTE Canada member listing - Canada’s health, industrial and agricultural biotechnology sectors
- Council for Continuing Pharmaceutical Education - corporate members list
- Innovative Medicines Canada - corporate members
- MEDEC: Canada's Medical Technology Companies - members
- Contact Canada directories - search companies by product development industry
- Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters
- Canadian Manufacturing Coalition - list of member associations
- International Association of Scientific, Technical and Medical Publishers - members
- Medical Device Manufacturers Association (U.S.)
- Manufacturers' Agents National Association (U.S.)
Search the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.