Security Guards, Private Investigators & Related Roles
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
These workers guard and implement security measures to protect property against theft, vandalism, and fire, control access to establishments, maintain order and enforce regulations at public events and within establishments, conduct private investigations for clients or employers and provide other protective services not elsewhere classified. They are employed by public or private security agencies, residential complexes, educational, cultural, financial and health institutions, retail establishments, businesses and industry, investigation service companies, transportation facilities, and organizations throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed. (NOC)
This profile page includes information on Private Investigators, Security Guards including Loss Prevention Officers, and Airport Security/Screening Officers.
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- A Day in the Life of a Detective/Private Investigator - The Princeton Review (U.S)
- Sokanu - occupational profile and videos:
- Article: Want to dig up dirt? Learn how to be a private investigator. - The Globe and Mail
- Article: A day of a Vancouver private investigator - DailyHive
- A day in the Life: Private Investigator/Detective - video from CareerRX
The University of Manitoba does not offer security guard or private investigator training. Please view the links below for more information about training and employment. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan that suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Education Options
- Private Investigators and Security Guards Program - from Manitoba Justice
- Approved Security Guard Training Program Providers - from Manitoba Justice
Information for foreign-trained Security Service occupations - Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Explore Careers: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Association of Professional Investigators
- Investigators of America (U.S.)
- International Association of Professional Security Consultants
- Association of Workplace Investigators - Canadian chapter
- International Association of Security and Investigative Regulators
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- SecruityGuardCompanies.com - directory of companies in Canada, U.S. Europe
- National Association of Security Companies (U.S.) - members
- Retail Council of Canada
- Canadian Private Investigators Resource Center - Find an Investigator
- Canadian Air Transport Security Authority
- Independent Armored Car Operators Association - members
- Association of Professional Security Agencies (Canada) - current members
- Canadian Security Association - directory of members
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.