Food Service & Restaurant Managers
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Food and nutrition managers provide nutrition care and supervise food service operations in health care settings and commercial food service establishments. Restaurant managers plan, organize, direct and control the operation of establishments in which food and beverages are served. (alis)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupation Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Sokanu: Restaurant Manager - occupational info and videos
- A Day in the Life of a Food Service Manager - The Princeton Review
- Day in the Life of a Manager of Nutrition & Sustainability (university setting) - Indiana University of Pennsylvania
The University of Manitoba Human Nutritional Sciences degree includes a Food Industry Option with a concentration in Food Industry Management. There is no program at the U of M specializing in Restaurant Management, but other schools do offer programs in Hospitality Management, Food & Beverage Management and Hotel & Restaurant Management. Within U of M's Asper School of Business there are a range of business courses that students may find relevant.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Food and Human Nutritional Sciences - Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences
- Asper School of Business
Exploring Other Education Options
- Accredited Food Service + Food and Nutrition Management Programs (Canada) - CSNM
- Approved Programs in Food & Nutrition Management (U.S.) - ANFP
- International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education - premium and multi-campus members
- Search Education Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Canadian Society of Nutrition Management (CSNM)
- Ontario Society of Nutrition Management
- Restaurants Canada
- Association of Nutrition & Foodservice Professionals (ANFP) - U.S.
- Society for Hospitality and Food Service Management - U.S.
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- CSNM Corporate Members - includes companies in the industry
- Restaurants Canada
- Long Term & Continuing Care Association of Manitoba - members
- Manitoba Restaurant & Food Services Association - Membership Directory
- Canadian College and University Food Service Association - members
- Canadian Franchise Association - Member list by industry
- ANFP Corporate Members list (U.S.)
- National Restaurant Association (U.S.)
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.