Architectural & Drafting Technologists
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Architectural technologists work with architects, engineers and others in designing and developing plans and working drawings, estimating costs and supervising building construction projects (alis). They are employed by architectural and construction firms, and governments (National Occupational Classification).
Drafting technologists and technicians prepare engineering designs, drawings and related technical information in multidisciplinary engineering teams or in support of engineers, architects or industrial designers, or they may work independently. They are employed by construction, utility, resource and manufacturing companies, consulting firms, government and other establishments. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions - Architectural Technologists & Technicians
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information - Architectural Technologist
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information - Drafting Technician
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information - Engineering Design and Drafting Technologist
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information - Steel Detailer
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information - Architectural Drafter
- Sokanu: Drafter - career information and videos
- Building Technologist profile - from the Canadian Council of Technologists and Technicians' Career Zone
The University of Manitoba does not offer diploma programs in Architectural or Drafting Technology. Please view the links below for more information about educational programs in Manitoba and Canada. If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance determining an education plan that suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Search Directories
- Accredited Programs by Province - Canadian Council of Technologists and Technicians
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Job Bank - Architectural Technologist
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Job Bank - Drafting Technologist
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Manitoba Salary Survey - Certified Technologist and Technicians Association of Manitoba
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Canadian Council of Technologists and Technicians (CCTT)
- Certified Technicians and Technologists Association of Manitoba (CTTAM)
- Architectural and Building Technologists Association of Manitoba (ABTAM)
- American Design Drafting Association
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Association of Consulting Engineering Companies - Manitoba
- Manitoba Association of Architects - member firms
- Winnipeg Construction Association - Members Directory
- Manitoba Construction Sector Council
- Canadian Manufacturing Coalition - list of sector councils
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.