The Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences is committed to excellence in education, research and service. The contributions of our academic and support staff are a valued component of this commitment. Therefore, Faculty Council has established two awards to recognize these outstanding contributions.
Excellence in Teaching Award
This award was established by FAFS to recognize exceptional contributions to the teaching mandate of the Faculty. The award is based on achievements in one or more of the following categories:
- development of new undergraduate and/or graduate courses
- leadership in, or substantial contributions to, curriculum review or development
- research in educational pedagogy
- integration of faculty research in undergraduate education
- enhancement of student learning through the use of service or experiential learning activities
- mentorship of students participating in national or international competitions
- facilitating a challenging, engaging and stimulating learning environment
- authorship of a textbook
- development and delivery of stakeholder training programs
- other evidence of excellence in teaching (including exceptional SEEQ scores)
academic staff who hold an UMFA rank (professors and instructors) in FAFS
minimum of three continuous years of university teaching experience
have not held this award within the last 5 years
The evaluation of nominations, including the establishment of criteria for ranking the nominations based on the criteria listed above, will be carried out by the FAFS Executive Committee.
One award recipient will be selected in each academic year, with the selection to be made by June 30th.
The recipient will receive a certificate along with a grant of $2,500 that can be used in support of either teaching or research activities. Funds must be used within the fiscal academic year (by March 31).
Public announcement and presentation of the award will be made in a faculty‐sponsored event with the recipient’s name and picture posted on the Faculty’s website.
The award recipient will be invited to the President’s reception for winners of teaching awards.
Claudia Narvaez, Food and Human Nutritional Sciences
Kateryn Rochon, Entomology
Charles Grant, Agribusiness and Agricultural Economics
Brian Amiro, Soil Science
Miyoung Suh, Food and Human Nutritional Sciences
Support Staff Awards
The FAFS Support Staff Award is for outstanding contribution by a support staff member or team to the Faculty and the University of Manitoba. Up to two awards will be offered annually to honour an individual or team who has made a difference in one or more of the following areas:
- educational experience of Faculty students
- research and research training
The award is open to all full-time and part-time support staff employed within FAFS, who will normally have had at least two years of service at the time of nomination. The recipient(s) of the award will not normally be eligible for a further award for five years.
Nominators are asked to specify the area(s) for which the support staff member or team is being nominated. Any time period from time of appointment to the Faculty may be considered for the nomination. If the nominee has previously received this award, the time period to be considered would be since the previous award.
It is expected that the following list of criteria will be among those considered by the nominators and by the selection committee (Faculty Executive). Nominators may refer to the following criteria in developing their case:
- demonstration of excellence in overall work performance
- promotion of positive morale through a congenial, supportive attitude and by providing service to others
- putting forth an effort to improve self as well as to develop and recognize others
- exhibit initiative and creativity resulting in improving operating efficiency of a work unit or the Faculty/University as a whole
- enhancing the image of the unit and or Faculty/University
- other worthy contributions
Distinctive achievement for all criteria will constitute the strongest case for selection. The selection committee, however, will be cognizant of particular outstanding achievements of any one criteria.
The call for nominations will be sent to all staff and students in the. Nominations may be made by any member of the Faculty (academic staff, support staff, students) or member of the community.
Due Date: May 15
Please forward the nomination form and all additional information in one PDF by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include subject heading: FAFS Support Staff Award Nomination.
John Thoroski, Food and Human Nutritional Sciences Meenakshi Raina, Richardson Centre for Food Technology and Research
Brittany Bedard, Animal Science
Dean’s Office Research and Communications team: Chantal Bassett, Crystal Jorgenson, Christine Rawluk and Heather Wiebe
Taylor Friesen, Student Services Office
Emily Gregorchuk, Food and Human Nutritional Sciences
Charlene Hawryluk, Department of Animal Science
Kim Stefaniuk, Dean's Office
Donna Ryland, Food and Human Nutritional Sciences
Wendy Kramer, Dean's Office
Aime Chaput, Animal Science, Glenlea Research Station
Heather Wiebe, Dean's Office
Dennis Laboissiere, Human Nutritional Sciences
Crystal Jorgenson, Dean's Office
Pam Gauthier, Human Nutritional Sciences
Lorne Adam, Plant Science
Christine Rawluk, National Centre for Livestock and the Environment
Dave Holder, Entomology
Pat Kenyon, Department of Food Science
Animal Science team: Deanne Fulawka, Terri Garner, Janice Haines and Michelle Pang
Laurene Davy, Dean’s Office
Biosystems Engineering team: Robert Lavallee and Dale Bourns
Martha Blouw, Plant Science
Rob Ellis, Soil Science