Awards of Excellence 2.0 Recognizing outstanding COVID-19 response
The past year presented many changes, challenges, opportunities and triumphs as we pushed ourselves to effectively pivot to the “new normal” created by the worldwide pandemic.
To commemorate this truly extraordinary time for our community, our annual Awards of Excellence program for support staff will recognize excellence in our COVID-19 response—those support staff who helped to bring out the very best in the University of Manitoba during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Do you know a support staff employee or a team of employees who showed innovation and persistence to facilitate learning, maintain business operations, and/or ensure that students and employees in need or transition receive support?
We want to honour support staff employees who demonstrated extraordinary efforts to maintain critical operations, to assist faculty and students in transitioning to online classes, to support critical research or facilitate the shut-down and restart of research activities, and to ensure the safety and well-being of others—all while supporting the academic mission of UM through the pandemic.
Please nominate today—and help the University of Manitoba recognize and thank the staff members who rose to the challenge of these unprecedented times in extraordinary ways!
Details below. Nominations are due April 30.
Criteria for Awards of Excellence - outstanding COVID-19 response
Nominations should address one or more of the following criteria and provide specific examples of the nominee’s excellence in responding to the challenges and illustrating the impact that they had on the university community.
- Demonstrated compassion, integrity and resolve by maintaining a sense of community and connection despite the constraints presented by the pandemic—and especially in supporting students, faculty and/or staff in need.
- Provided assistance in maintaining mission critical operations; adapting to the situation with resiliency, creativity in problem solving, and initiative.
- Facilitated ongoing critical research and/or the shut-down and restart of research activities and facilities through extraordinary efforts and attention to the unique demands of the workplace imposed by the pandemic.
- With responsiveness to the needs of faculty, staff, students and others took extraordinary measures to ensure the safety and well-being of all in the unit, department/centre, division and/or school.
- The call for nominations opens March 31, 2021
- Nominations must be received no later than April 30, 2021
- Nominations must be submitted online using the Awards of Excellence Nomination Form
- Nominees must be currently employed at the University of Manitoba in a support staff role
- Individual staff members or teams of staff will be considered
- The current Awards of Excellence committee will review the nominations and select the top three nominations for consideration by the President for the President’s Award
- Award recipient(s) will be announced in mid-June
- All nominees will be recognized on an on-line recognition platform highlighting their achievements
- AESES Rep: Dustin Luckwell, Generalist, Compensation/Benefits
- CUPE Rep: Scott Sparrow, Technician, Civil Engineering
- UNIFOR Rep: Ken Francey, Refrigeration/AC Mechanic, Physical Plant
- Academic Rep: Krystyna Koczanski, Associate Dean (Student Experience), Chemistry Instructor
- Bannatyne Rep: Ilana Simon, Director, Marketing & Communications
- Indigenous Rep: Riley Proulx, Program Recruiter and Advisor, IBEP
- Naomi Andrew, Acting Vice-President (Administration)
- Darlene Smith, Associate Vice-President, Human Resources.