Workers Compensation

Claims management requires prompt and accurate reporting of all incidents and injuries. Injured workers are required to complete a Notice of Incident Form (PDF) at the time of the incident. The occupational health coordinator will assist workers and supervisors in navigating any work-related return programs.

Incident reporting

In Canada, worker’s compensation is a system of compulsory no-fault insurance for workplace injuries. In Manitoba this is legislated under The Workers Compensation Act. All staff at the University are covered under this system.

If you are a worker involved in an incident (ex: injury, spill, near miss, etc.)

If you are the supervisor of a worker involved in an incident

For serious incidents as defined by Workplace Safety and Health

Serious Incidents must be reported to Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) immediately. Serious incidents include:

  • Fatalities
  • Injury resulting from electric contact
  • Unconsciousness as the result of a concussion
  • Fracture of skull, spine, pelvis, arm, leg, hand or foot
  • Amputation of an arm, leg, hand, foot, finger or toe
  • Third degree burns
  • Permanent or temporary loss of sight
  • Cut or laceration that requires medical treatment at a hospital
  • Asphyxiation or poisoning
  • Collapse or structural failure of a building, structure, crane, hoist, lift, temporary support system or excavation
  • Explosion, fire or flood, an uncontrolled spill or escape of a hazardous substance
  • Failure of an atmosphere-supplying respirator

When a serious incident occurs, isolate the scene and do not clean up the area. Do not alter or move any equipment of materials that were involved in the incident, unless it is necessary to free an injured or trapped person, to avoid creating additional hazards, or to provide immediate/critical care.

  • Immediately contact UM Security Services and the Environmental Health and Safety office (EHSO) to report the serious incident.
    • Contact UM Security Services at:
      • 555 from any university phone
      • #555 from Bell MTS or Rogers Wireless
      • 204-474-9341 from all other phones
      • Any emergency phone on campus
    • Contact EHSO at 204-474-6633 (Monday to Friday 8:30am-4:30pm).
  • The Environmental Health and Safety office (EHSO) will conduct an incident investigation and report the serious incident to MB Workplace Health and Safety. Incident Investigation Form (PDF)
  • Reference A Guide to Investigating Workplace Incidents – WSH Division (PDF)

For physical plant workers and supervisors

Ergonomic assessments

Hearing conservation

Environmental Health and Safety has developed a comprehensive program to help staff prevent hearing loss and meet requirements determined by Workplace Safety and Health. The program consists of education, training and annual hearing assessments on all staff exposed to noise greater than 85 decibels.

Noise monitoring is conducted upon request and areas requiring hearing protection are identified by signage. Follow-up and medical referrals are made as per Workplace Safety and Health Regulations, including an annual report forwarded to the Chief Occupational Medical Officer at the Workplace Safety and Health Division.

Immunization standard and post-exposure protocol

Immunization procedures ensure University of Manitoba staff and students are protected from occupational exposure to vaccine-preventable, potentially infectious diseases while working with or near animal or human blood/body fluids or other human pathogens at any research or clinical laboratory or animal care facility work site.

Immunization resources

Student immunizations and immunization records

For information on student immunizations and to request or submit your immunization records see the Rady Faculty of Health Sciences Immunization Program.

Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs)

The University of Manitoba has placed AEDs in many areas throughout its facilities for use by untrained individuals in the event someone experiences a suspected heart attack. The AED is a portable device and is used in conjunction with CPR. When turned on, an automated voice directs the user in clear, easy to understand language.

Faculties or units are responsible for all costs associated with the AED, including installation, posting of signage, maintenance and/or repair costs, and monthly inspections.

The user must call 9-1-1 before using the AED to have Emergency Services dispatched.

AED resources

First aid

Designated first aid training

Environmental Health and Safety offers training to workers willing to become designated first aiders in their work areas. The course is provided by a Red Cross certified trainer and is valid for three years.

Each department is asked to recruit potential designated first aiders for their own area and to provide a stocked first aid kit.

Contact the Environmental Health and Safety Office for details.

Contact us

Occupational Health Coordinator

(204) 474-6438 (Office)


Environmental Health and Safety
Room 191 Extended Education Complex
406 University Crescent
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada