- U of M Resources
- Legal Resources
- Copyright Free or Open Resources
- Images and Multimedia Resources
- Open Access and Publishing Resources
- Copyright Commentary Resources
Copyright Help in UM Learn
- Get copyright assistance with managing course content in UM Learn.
Sharing Course Materials
- Guidance on when students do and do not require instructors' permission to share course notes and materials.
Use of Copyright Protected Materials Policy
- The new (2018) policy respecting use of copyright protected materials at the University of Manitoba.
Intellectual Property Policy
- Outlines University policy regarding intellectual property (including copyright) ownership.
UMFA Collective Agreement
- Includes provisions respecting copyright ownership in works by UMFA members.
Sample Copyright Permission Letter (Word)
- Modify this letter to request permission from third-party creators to incorporate copyrighted materials in your work.
Canadian Copyright Act
- The guiding copyright legislation in Canada.
Canadian Intellectual Property Office
- Office responsible for the registration and administration of intellectual property in Canada.
Public Domain Flowchart
Project Gutenberg and Project Gutenberg Canada
- Vast collections of copyright-free books.
Wikipedia - Public Domain Resources List
- Comprehensive and frequently updated list of copyright-free works in all formats and media.
U of M Libraries - Index of Open Access Repositories and Resources
- List of Open Access databases available through the U of M Libraries.
A-Z Databases: Images
- Excellent database resource lists for architecture, fine arts, health sciences, and a range of other disciplines. Some databases require registration and/or authentication using your UM Net ID.
UM Digital Collections
- Online repository of images, letters, newspapers, books, video and sound recordings that document the University and Province of Manitoba's storied history.
The British Library
- Search over a million images on the British Library's Flickr account.
The New York Public Library
- Find more than 180,000 public domain images in the New York Public Library Digital Collections.
UM Libraries Guide to Open Access & Scholarly Communications
- Find out what you need to know about Open Access and Scholarly Communications at the University of Manitoba.
Creative Commons - Share Your Work
- Provides clear, easy to use licenses enabling creators to share their works in a variety of ways.
The Directory of Open Access Repositories - OpenDOAR
- A quality-controlled list of academic Open Access repositories.
- Database of publisher Open Access policies, self-archiving permissions and author’s rights.
SPARC (Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition) Author Addendum
- Legal instrument enabling authors to modify copyright transfer agreements with non-Open Access journal publishers and retain certain rights.
Michael Geist Tech Law Topics
- Frequently updated blog on copyright and other technology law topics by the Canada Research Chair in Internet and E-Commerce Law at the University of Ottawa.
Ariel Katz on Intellectual Property, Competition, Innovation, and Other Issues
- Blog written by the Innovation Chair in Electronic Commerce at the University of Toronto.
Meera Nair - Fair Duty
- Blog focusing on fair dealing and other copyright issues by the Copyright Officer for the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology.