The Department of Restorative Dentistry is the largest department in the College of Dentistry (formerly the Faculty of Dentistry). Its strong clinical base is provided by academic full-time and part-time staff specifically committed to the undergraduate dental education. This approach fosters not only the teaching of material relevant to dentistry, but serves to integrate the community dentists into the various clinical programs. Associated with this philosophy was the concept that such committed faculty would also foster faculty research that would improve as well as provide research and teaching expertise for the clinical programs.
The concept of providing basic science teaching dedicated to the faculty resulted in the establishment of the sections of operative dentistry, crown and bridge, complete and removable prosthodontics and endodontics, shortly after the faculty was opened in 1957.
In 1973 the faculty was reorganized into four departments and the Sections operative dentistry, crown and bridge, complete and removable prosthodontics and endodontics, were amalgamated into a single department, Restorative Dentistry, with the mandate to provide the clinical science teaching in the faculty.
Today Restorative Dentistry includes fourteen full time academics, plus forty-eight part time community dentists with expertise in dental materials, operative dentistry, fixed, removable and implant prosthodontics, endodontics and interprofessional dentistry. Interprofessional dentistry is a consolidation of those disciplines that cross over many of the various areas of dentistry. This would include dental anatomy, occlusion, infection control, ethics, professionalism, jurisprudence, and practice management.
Restorative Dentistry is responsible for the clinical science teaching in the undergraduate dental and dental hygiene programs, as well as the graduate and postgraduate dental specialty programs of the College of Dentistry.
The department also undertakes research in a wide variety of health related projects and contributes to the administration of the College and the University.