Applying for Letter of Permission to Study at Another University

Information/Regulations Regarding Procedures to be Followed When Making Application to Take Courses at Another Institution for Transfer of Credit to Degree Programs at the University of Manitoba

Letter of Permission (PDF)


Students in degree programs at this University may take courses at other recognized colleges or universities for transfer of credit provided such courses are approved in advance by the Faculty or School in which they are currently registered.

  • The approval is subject to individual Faculty/School regulations and is granted in the form of a Letter of Permission (issued by the Registrar's Office).
  • To obtain a Letter of Permission, please apply to the Registrar's Office as early as possible and at least one month prior to the commencement of classes at the other institution. The application form for a Letter of Permission is at the link above.
  • Each application must be accompanied by the appropriate fee.
  • Students planning to seek permission to take courses elsewhere for transfer of credit to The University of Manitoba should consult the current Calendar for the residence and degree requirements of the degree programs in which they are enrolled.
  • Effective for the 1999-2000 academic year and thereafter, courses acceptable for credit in the academic units into which students have been admitted shall be transferred to a student’s University of Manitoba academic record as external transfers with their grades, including grades of “D” and “F”. The grades recorded on the student’s academic record will be established using a conversion table where necessary. The grades may also be utilized in academic assessment procedures. Consult your Faculty/School regulations.
  • All grades, including transfer credit grades, will be included in the student’s University of Manitoba grade point averages (G.P.A.’s). The extent to which transferred grades may be considered in matters involving awards such as Dean’s Honour List, University and Program medals, are subject to Faculty/School Regulations.
  • Beginning with the February 2002 graduation, students completing their degree requirements through a letter of permission must indicate to the University their intent to graduate via the Declarations menu on Aurora Student. Log in to Aurora Student, go to Enrolment and Academic Records, then Declarations. Select Declare Graduation Date.

The following explanatory information is provided to assist students to complete the requirements in order to obtain a Letter of Permission -- Please read these instructions carefully before submitting an application. Should further explanation or assistance be required please contact the Registrar's Office at (204) 474-9420.


If the University from which you wish to take courses is outside the Province of Manitoba, please submit the Calendar of the University concerned or a photocopy of the pages containing the description(s) of the course(s) to be taken along with your application. If you submit a Calendar, please mark the pages and course numbers at the front for quick reference. If you provide a photocopy of the course information, the material should include a photocopy of the Calendar page which provides: the key to course numbering of the other institution, the hours of instruction plus dates and duration of the course(s). WE CANNOT PROCESS OR APPROVE APPLICATIONS WITHOUT THIS INFORMATION. It may be necessary for the applicant to obtain course outlines (covering content, bibliography, final examination, etc.) from the other institution if the Calendar submitted does not provide sufficient information for evaluation. It is extremely important that students planning to attend institutions outside of Canada pay particular attention to this requirement as the information is not necessarily available in Canada.


A non-refundable Application Fee of $73.50 (subject to change) must accompany each application if course(s) are to be taken at a University or College inside or outside Manitoba. A separate application, and applicable fees, must be submitted for each session, as well as for each University. For purposes of application for a Letter of Permission, The University of Manitoba sessions are: September to April (Regular Session), or from May to August (Summer Session).

The completed application, together with the relevant application fee, should be forwarded to:

Cashier's Office
Rm 138 University Centre
The University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2


  1. A Letter of Permission will be issued after the Registrar's Office has received the approval of the appropriate Faculty/School (or University 1) in which the student is registered.
  2. Approval is subject to the following regulations:
    • The applicant must be in good academic standing as per individual Faculty requirements.
    • The minimum residence requirement of the applicant's degree program can be met.
    • Students not enrolled in a degree program or University 1 are not eligible  for a Letter of Permission.
    • During the Summer Session, as defined by The University of Manitoba (May to August inclusive) the number of courses to be taken at the other institution may not exceed eighteen credit hours. Only with special permission of the Dean or Director of the appropriate Faculty/School (or University 1) of The University of Manitoba may a student be allowed to take a maximum of twenty-four hours of credit in Summer Session. This regulation applies to all students regardless of where the courses are being taken.
    • During the Regular Session (September to April), the number of hours taken on a Letter of Permission may not exceed the maximum number of credit hours normally associated with a full year's program of study at The University of Manitoba, unless special permission of the Dean or Director concerned is obtained. This regulation applies to all students regardless of where the courses are being taken.
    • To provide flexibility, approval may be requested for more than the number of course a student intends to register in, but no more than double the actual number of credit hours which will be taken, up to a maximum of 42 credit hours. The student must advise the Registrar's Office (at the time of registration at the other institution) which course(s) was selected.
  3. Credit obtained at the other institutions will be transferred into the student’s University of Manitoba Records as follows:
    • The student must provide the Registrar's Office with an OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT showing final grades/marks obtained, including the institution's official explanation of its grading system. If the course(s) on a Letter of Permission completes The University of Manitoba Graduation requirements, the transcript must be received by The University of Manitoba by January 30 for February Graduation, by April 30 for May Graduation and by September 30 for October Graduation. Transcripts not received by these dates will cause graduation to be delayed until the next Graduation period.
    • The student's Faculty/School reserves the right to deny any subsequent requests for Letters of Permission if an official transcript is not received by the Registrar's Office.
    • A student's grade report is NOT acceptable.
    • If a student for whom a Letter of Permission has been issued withdraws or does not register for the course(s) shown on the Letter of Permission, they must provide official verification of this fact from the other institution.
    • Failure to provide the documentation (transcript) required at the termination of the period covered by the Letter of Permission will result in failed attempts being transferred to University of Manitoba records.
  4. NOTES:
    • Students taking course(s) in Engineering, Environmental Design, Nursing, Pharmacy, Social Work are required to obtain a grade of “C” (or better) and in Pre-Master’s, PH.D. a grade of “C+” (or better) in order that a course will be acceptable for credit. Students who obtained grades less than these may be subject to “attempt regulations” as applicable in their faculty or school.
    • Students in course based programs in the Faculty of Graduate Studies such as the Masters programs in Business Administration, and Engineering and Public Administration will be charged tuition fees on a per course basis for all courses transferred for credit, in order to complete the Graduate "Program Fee" requirement as stipulated in the Official Fee Schedule