Frequently Asked Questions

Do you accept credit card payments?
How do I pay my fees?
I plan to opt out of the UMSU health and dental plan - how does this affect my fees?
What happens if I do not pay my fees by the fee deadline? 
Can I defer my fees?
What if I am waiting for financial aid?
What is deregistration and how does it work?
How do I re-register for my courses if I have been deregistered?
Will I receive a fee statement in the mail?
If my account is on HOLD, how can I have the HOLD removed?
Can I appeal late payment penalties?
I have a credit on my account, when can I expect my refund?
Is there any special restriction on International Refund?
What if I need information regarding a family member's fees?
What if I am sponsored by an outside agency?
I am an international graduate student, can I pay my tuition by instalments?





Credit Card Payments
---------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
The University of Manitoba does not accept credit cards for degree/diploma programs.

Opting out of UMSU Health and Dental 
If you have alternate health and dental coverage and successfully complete UMSU’s online opt-out form (available at  prior to the revision period deadline, then UMSU health and dental charges will be automatically reversed on your Aurora student fee account. Please keep in mind that all other fees must be paid by the fee deadline to avoid penalties and holds.   

If you do not opt out prior to  the revision period deadline, the charges will NOT be reversed by the University. It will be your responsibility to pay the charges on your Aurora student account.  Issues regarding late opt-outs will be directly dealt with by the UMSU Health & Dental office at 110 University Centre.

UMSU Health and Dental Plan FAQ:

UMSU Health and Dental Fee:

Overdue Accounts
Students with outstanding balances after the published fee payment deadlines in each term will be subject to late fees. Students who no longer wish to attend classes must complete the voluntary withdrawal procedure prior to the end of the revision period to receive a 100% refund.

Balances outstanding at the end of the revision periods will be subject to a second late fee, will be placed on HOLD and may be deregistered from subsequent terms.

Further information regarding fee deadlines, late fees, holds and automatic deregistration available at:

Deferring Fees
Fees may be deferred only if you are an international graduate student with a research/teaching Assistantship and you request approval  to pay in instalments. For more information, please visit the Revenue, General and Student Accounting Services at Room 315 Administration Building or e-mail:

Financial Aid
Please visit the Financial Aid and Awards office at 422 University Centre to enquire about a fee deferral.

You will be allowed to re-register once your fee account balance has been paid in full.

What is deregistration and how does it work?
You are financially and academically responsible for all courses in which you are registered after the Revision deadline. Students who fail to pay for courses will be placed on Hold and will be deregistered from any future term courses. i.e. you will be responsible to pay for Fall Term and courses that span Fall/Winter, but will be deregistered from Winter Term courses.  Failure to withdraw will result in a F NP grade being assigned to all courses in which you are registered in at the end of term.  To be eligible for future registration your balance due must be paid in full. Registration will be subject to space availability in course(s).

Where can I view my balance and other account details?

Details regarding your fees and balance may be obtained by accessing the AURORA Student System.

How can I pay my balance?

Payment options are as follows:

- Web or Phone Banking:  For additional information regarding these payment methods, please contact your financial institution or click here to visit our website.
Please Note: The University will record the payment date as the date processed by the bank, not the date received by the University. Allow 2 - 3 business days (Web Banking) 7 -10 business days (Phone Banking) see your paymnet posted to your Aurora Student Account.

- In Person between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM: 
Fort Garry Campus at Room 138 University Centre
Please Note: The University accepts cash, debit and cheques. Credit cards are not accepted.

- Mail payment to:
Cashiers’ Office
Room 138 University Centre
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB.  R3T 2N2
Please Note: Allow sufficient time for mail delivery. Do not mail cash.

Questions regarding fee payment should be directed to the Cashiers’ Office at (204) 474-8222 or (204) 474-8716 or via email at In order to serve you better, please include your student number when responding by email.

I’ve already paid my fees by web, Telpay or telephone banking.

When will my fee account be updated?
Electronic payments can take up to five business days to show on your Aurora student account. If your payment was made more than five business days ago and it is not reflected in your Aurora account, please contact and we will review your account. In order to serve you better, please include your student number when responding by email.

I have a student loan. What should I do?

The Financial Aid and Awards office handles all student loan related issues. Please contact them directly at 204-474-9531, or visit them in room 422 University Centre Bldg. should you have any questions or concerns regarding your student loan.

Can I get an extension or deferral?

No, deferrals are not extended beyond the deregistration deadline for tuition fee payment.

I’ve dropped all my courses and shouldn’t owe anything. Who should I contact? 
Concerns regarding your fee assessment should be addressed to the Registrar’s Office at (204) 474-9420 toll free at 1 (877) 474-9420.

I’m sponsored. Who should I contact?

Sponsored students should first verify that a letter was submitted on their behalf by the sponsoring agency. To do this, log into your fee account on the AURORA Student System and click the “view sponsorship” link at the bottom of the page. If there is no indication that you have a sponsor, you will need to pay the full outstanding balance yourself and request reimbursement from your sponsoring agency. Should you have any additional questions, please contact Abiola Idowu at

I’ve dropped all my courses or did not attend them, what can I do?
If you have not withdrawn by the revision deadline, you are financially responsible to pay your tuition fees regardless of attendance.  If you intend on appealing your tuition fees and the voluntary withdrawal deadline has not passed, you may simply drop you courses on-line and submit a tuition fee appeal. In the event that your account is on hold, contact you faculty office for assistance. Contact information for all faculty and school general offices, including University 1, is available at

If you intend on appealing your tuition fees and the voluntary withdrawal deadline has passed, you must complete a two-step process. This process requires that you submit a request for either a late or authorized withdrawal to your faculty, as well as provide a completed tuition fee appeal to the Registrar’s office for consideration.

Note, you may only appeal for authorized withdrawals or tuition fees for medical or compassionate reasons.

If you have already withdrawn from your courses, you need only submit a tuition fee appeal to the Registrar’s office.

Late Withdrawal or Authorized Withdrawal Information

In the event that the voluntary withdrawal deadline has past for the course in question, you will need to contact your faculty to make an appointment with a student advisor to request a late or authorized withdrawal.

Contact information for all faculty and school general offices, including University 1, is available at If your request is granted and you want to appeal your related tuition fees, you must also complete the tuition fee appeal process.

Tuition Fee Appeal Information

Not being aware of regulations, voluntary withdrawal or refund deadline dates and similar published information are not grounds for appeal.

To appeal your academic fees you must do so in writing on a Tuition Fee Appeal form. Appeals are considered by the Registrar's Committee on Fee Appeals.  The committee typically takes 4-6 weeks to reach a decision, depending upon how many appeals have been submitted for consideration.

If your appeal is denied and the amount in question exceeds $500, you may re-appeal an unfavourable decision to a University fee appeals committee. Call or visit the Registrar's Office for information.

Note: Appeals dating back more than one academic year will not be considered.

My question has not been answered above, who should I contact?

Should you still have questions after reviewing the FAQ, please contact Student Fee Coordinator at or at (204) 474-9433.

Fee Statements
No. Students are responsible for regularly checking their fee account on the Aurora Student System website.

Removing a Hold
Financial holds are only removed once the outstanding balance has been paid in full. Payments made by personal  cheque will require 10 to 15 working  days to clear  prior to the HOLD being removed. If you have questions regarding your tuition hold, please contact 474-9699. If there are other holds on your account (ie parking, bookstore), please contact the appropriate department for information.

Appealing Late Payment Penalties 
Yes. Appeals must be made in writing on an "Appeal for Waiver of Penalties” form. Forms are available from our link below or from Rm 138 University Centre, Room 315  Administration Building.

To print an Appeal Form, click here.

Complete the form and mail or fax to:
Revenue, General and Student Accounting Services
The University of Manitoba
Room 315 Administration Bldg
Winnipeg, MB  R3T 2N2
FAX: (204) 474-7501

You are not automatically refunded your credit balance, you may request a refund or you may leave the funds on your account for a future term at which point they will be applied against any new charges.

To request a refund, students must email their request to or contact the Revenue, General and Student Accounting Services at (204) 474-9433.

Please note: Credits on account from payments made by cheque, have a 10 business day hold; (15 days for U.S. cheques). All refund requests must include: Student number; Full name; and amount.

Once a refund has been processed, a cheque is mailed out to address in Aurora (unless otherwise arranged for pickup at the Cash Office 138 University Centre). Cheques requested for pickup are held for 10 business days then mailed out.

*** Please ensure your mailing address is current in Aurora.
*** Photo identification is required in order to pick up a cheque.
*** Amounts relating to awards and/or student loans require approval by Financial Aid and Awards. To verify eligibility, please make your refund request through the Financial Aid and Awards Office at 474-9531.

*** Special Restrictions for Refunds on Payments made from outside Canada

  • If payment was made, and the student does not come to Canada, a refund must be processed to send the funds back to original country of origin.
  • Refunds on "Prepayment of Tuition".
  • No other refunds on payments made from outside Canada will be permitted, for any reason, while you are still in Canada.

Access to Student Account Information 
All student information is protected by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and can be released only to the student. If you wish to authorize another person to access fee information, please complete and submit a CONSENT for RELEASE of PERSONAL INFORMATION form.

To obtain more information regarding this process, please contact:
FIPPA/PHIA Coordinator's Office
233 Elizabeth Dafoe Library
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB  R3T 2N2 Canada
Tel 204 474-8339  Fax 204 474-7913  Email
Or visit FIPPA'S website ( )

If your fees are to be paid by an outside agency, you must have your sponsoring agency complete and submit a “Tuition Sponsorship Application Form”. Sponsor arrangements must be made beforethe fee payment deadline to avoid late payment penalties, holds on student accounts and possible deregistration from classes.  Once completed, the form may be mailed or faxed to: 
Revenue, General and Student Accounting Services
315 Administration Building
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3T 2N2
Fax: (204) 474-7501

Invoices will be mailed to sponsors in September and January for first and second term  fees respectively. If payment is not received by the due date specified on the  invoice, the student's record and access to academic  services will be placed on HOLD until payment is made in full. Please call (204) 474-8718 if you have any further questions.