Title: Faculty of Agriculture fonds.
Extent: 41.3 m of textual records and other material.
Administrative history: Manitoba Agricultural College was formerly opened in 1906. In the following year, Manitoba Agricultural College became affiliated with the University of Manitoba so that the degree in agriculture could be conferred on students who had successfully completed the five-year course. However, the affiliation of Manitoba Agricultural College with the University was terminated by an Act of the Provincial Legislature in 1912 when the College was granted degree conferring powers. However, in 1916, the Act was amended and the affiliation between the College and University was restored again. The University of Manitoba conferred the degree Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (B.S.A) for the first time in May 1911. Regular instruction in Home Economics began the same year and the degree of Bachelor of Home Economics (B.H.E.) was first conferred in May 1918. On March 1, 1924, by Act of the Manitoba Legislature, the administration of Manitoba Agricultural College was transferred to the Board of Governors of the University and it was arranged that in future, the instructional work of the College could be carried on as a Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics of the University. The length of the degree courses in both Agriculture and Home Economics was reduced to four sessions in 1927-1928 to conform with the other university faculties.
In 1929, the Legislature selected the site in Fort Garry, already occupied by the Manitoba Agricultural College since 1913, as the permanent site of the university. A systematic program of work in the field of rural adult education was begun in 1940. By 1941, the Faculty consisted of six departments: Animal Science, Bacteriology and Animal Pathology, Dairy Husbandry, Entomology, Plant Science ,and Soils. In 1946, the Department of Agricultural Engineering was added to the faculty. In 1966, the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics opened the Centre for Applied Research at Glenlea, twenty kilometers south of Winnipeg. In 1970, the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics separated into two independent faculties, Agriculture and Home Economics. Beginning in 1971, the Faculty of Agriculture, through sponsorship from the provincial government, became involved with various foreign aid programs. This culminated in 1979 when the Canadian International Development Agency (C.I.D.A.) financed a joint agricultural program with the University of Zambia. In July 1991, the Faculty became the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences.
Custodial history: Dr. Don Meadows, Communications Officer, donated letters, newsletters and records of the Manitoba Agricultural Graduates Association dating 1935–1980 on behalf of the Faculty in 1980. The Faculty of Agriculture donated material in 1981. Dr. Meadows donated framed and mounted photographs, negatives, manuscript material dating 1900-1981, as well as four audio reels dating 1978-1979 in 1982. The tapes have been incorporated into TC 11. In 1983, L.B. Siemens, Associate Dean of the Faculty, donated the following papers that had been presented at various agricultural conferences: "Sustainable Food Systems: The Canadian Perspective," (August 1981), "Impact of Food Shortages in the Developing Countries on International Security," (September 1981), and "Canadian Agriculture and Third World Food Supply," (October 1981). In 1988, Dr. Meadows once again donated material on behalf of the Faculty including Faculty Council minutes (1946-1949), professional reprints (1916-1946), and Manitoba Cooperative Weekly in five bound volumes (1967-1975). This donation was incorporated into UA 21 in 1987. Donalda Johnson donated photographs that were incorporated into PC 17 in 1993. The Faculty transferred notes and minutes relating to building and fundraising meetings, and capital campaigns to the Archives in 1999. Additional information regarding the transfer of records specific to offices between 1988 and 1994 can be found in the descriptions of individual series.
Scope and content: The fonds is divided into thirteen series: Dean's Office, Faculty of Agriculture (1911-1988), School of Agriculture (1959-1976), Associate Dean's Office, Faculty of Agriculture (1926-1988), Department of Plant Science (1906-1982), Department of Animal Science (1914-1986), Department of Agricultural Economics (1908-1986), Department of Agricultural Engineering (1945-1986), Department of Entomology (1917-1981), Department of Food Sciences (1963-1976), Glenlea Research Station (1962-1986), Canadian International Development Association (Kenya) (1966-1984), Canadian International Development Association (Zambia) (1975-1988), photographs (PC 17) (1873-1986), and tapes (TC 11) (1978-1979).
The textual records include correspondence, budgets, minutes, annual reports, research proposals and results, course syllabi, papers, exams, and publicity and press releases for the School of Agriculture, the Faculty of Agriculture, and the Faculty's component departments. The files of the Canadian International Development Association's work in Kenya and Zambia are also included. The photograph collection consists of over 2000 photographs, over 400 slides, and 16 packets of negatives that illustrate a number of activities involving the Manitoba Agricultural College and its successor, the Faculty of Agriculture. The tape collection consists of four audio reels that detail the following topics: Manitoba Agricultural College History – Extension, the birth of 4H in Canada, the first Home Economics programs, the organization of Women's Institutes in Manitoba, Dr. L.H. Shebeski, "The Challenge of Agriculture", Dr. Baldur Stefanson on "The Rapeseed Story", an example of an Agricultural Diploma oral examination, and Glen Dyck Morden on the "Farm Business Planning Project."
Source of supplied Ttitle: Title based on provenance of fonds.
Restrictions: Files labeled "Restricted" contain confidential information and are not available for research without the permission of Archives & Special Collections.
Finding aid: A printed finding aid is available in the Archives reading room and an on-line finding aid is available at the link below:
UA 21, PC 17, TC 11 (A.80-06, A.81-16, A.82-44, A.82-46, A.82-47, A.83-08, A.83-13, A.88-01, A.88-02, A.88-03, A.88-04, A.88-05, A.88-06, A.88-07, A.88-08, A.88-47, A.88-49, A.89-37, A.89-38, A.89-43, A.89-44, A.90-01, A.90-41, A.90-67, A.90-74, A.90-75, A.91-11, A.92-34, A.93-07, A.93-12, A.93-61).
We greatly acknowledge the financial support of the Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism and the Heritage Grants Advisory Council in the creation of this finding aid.