Dr. Denice C. Bay
Assistant Professor, Medical Microbiology, University of Manitoba
Degrees: Ph.D (University of Manitoba, 2007), BSc. (University of Manitoba, 2000).
Rm 514C Basic Medical Sciences Bldg.
Department of Medical Microbiology
University of Manitoba
745 Bannatyne Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3E 0J9
Tel: (204) 977-5679
Fax: (204) 789-3926
Research Interests: Analysis of bacterial and fungal antimicrobial multidrug transporters structure-function, cell regulation, and evolution using a multidisciplinary approach involving molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, biophysics, and bioinformatics techniques.
For a list of Dr. Bay's arcticle available on PubMed, please click here
Recent publications (2015-2010):
1. S. Junaid Qazi, Raymond Chew, Denice C. Bay, and Raymond R. Turner. (2015) Structural and functional comparison of hexahistidine tagged and untagged forms of small multidrug resistance protein, EmrE. Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports. May; 1: 22-32.
2. Denice C. Bay, Sean C. Booth, and Raymond J. Turner. (2015) Respiration and ecological niche influence bacterial membrane lipid compositions. Environ. Microbiol. May; 17 (5): 1777-93. [Epub 2014 Dec 11]
3. Catherine S. Chan, Denice C. Bay, Thorin G. Leach, Tara M Winstone, Lalita Kuzniatsova, Vy A. Tran, and Raymond J. Turner. (2014) 'Come into the fold': A comparative analysis of bacterial redox enzyme maturation protein members of the NarJ subfamily. BBA Biomembranes. Aug 23; 1838 (12): 2971-2984. (Review)
4. Maria S. Beketskaia*, Denice C. Bay*, and Raymond J. Turner. (2014) Outer membrane protein OmpW participates with small multidrug resistance protein member EmrE in quaternary cationic compound efflux. J. Bacteriology. May; 196 (10): 1908-14. [Epub Mar. 14, 2014] (*Equal author contribution)
5. Domenico Simone, Denice C. Bay, Thorin G. Leach, Raymond J. Turner. (2013) Diversity and evolution of bacterial twin arginine translocase protein, TatC, reveals a protein secretion system that is evolving to fit its environmental niche. Public Library of Science (PLoS) One. Nov; 8 (11): e78742.
6. Safia Nathoo, Jennifer K. Litzenberger, Denice C. Bay, Raymond J. Turner, and Elmar J. Prenner. (2013) Visualizing a multidrug resistance protein, EmrE, with major bacterial lipids using Brewster angle microscopy. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids. Feb-Mar; 167-168: 33-42. [Epub Feb 4, 2013]
7. Brankica Filipic, Natasa Golic, Branko Jovcic, M Tolinacki, Denice C. Bay, Raymond J. Turner, Jelena Antic-Stankovic, Milan Kojic and Ljubisa Topisirovic. (2013) The cmbT gene encodes a novel major facilitator multidrug resistance transporter in Lactococcus lactis. Research in Microbiology. Sept. 14 S0923-2508 (12): 00130-1. [Epub September 14, 2012].
8. Denice C. Bay and Raymond J. Turner. (2013) Membrane composition influences the topology bias of bacterial integral membrane proteins. BBA Biomembranes Feb; 1828 (2): 260-70. [Epub Sept.13, 2012].
9. Denice C. Bay and Raymond J. Turner. (2012) Small multidrug resistance protein EmrE reduced host pH and osmotic tolerance to metabolic quaternary cation osmoprotectants. J. Bacteriology. Nov. 194 (21): 5941-8. [Epub ahead of print August 31, 2012].
10. Denice C. Bay and Raymond J. Turner. (2012) Spectroscopic analysis of small multidrug resistance protein EmrE in the presence of quaternary cation compounds. BBA Biomembranes. 1818 (5): 1318-31. [Feb. 2, 2012 Epub ahead of print]
11. Denice C. Bay, Mohamed Hafez, Matthew J. Young and Deborah A. Court. (2012) Phylogenetic and co-evolutionary analysis of the beta-barrel protein family comprised of mitochondrial porin (VDAC) and Tom40. BBA Biomembranes. 1818 (6): 1502-19. [Dec 4, 2011. Epub ahead of print].
12. Denice C. Bay and Raymond J. Turner. (2011) Spectroscopic analysis of intrinsic chromophores within the small multidrug resistance protein SugE. BBA Biomembranes. 1808 (9): 2233-44.
13. Denice C. Bay, Mu-Ping Nieh, R. Arief Budiman, and Raymond J. Turner. (2010) Multimeric forms of the Small multidrug resistance protein EmrE in anionic detergent. BBA Biomembranes. 1798 (3): 526-535.
14. Dallas L. Foreman, Elizabeth M. Vanderlinde, Denice C. Bay, and Christopher K. Yost. (2010) Characterization of a gene family of outer membrane proteins (ropB) in Rhizobium leguminosarum biovar viciae VF39SM and the role of the sensor kinase ChvG in their regulation. J. Bacteriology. 192 (4): 975-83.
Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Room 543 - 745 Bannatyne Avenue,
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 0J9, Canada
Phone: 204 977-5609
Fax: 204 789-3926