Wondering what to do next summer? Experience Research
Why not experience research with a professor at your own university? Professors at the University of Manitoba, through their research, scholarly work and creative activities are contributing to the cultural, economic, health and social well-being of the citizens of Manitoba, Canada and the world. Professors work individually or in teams to analyze challenging and complex issues to make our lives better and more meaningful. They collectively bring more than $160 million from external sources, on a competitive basis, to support their research, scholarly work and creative activities and to nurture young minds to become trailblazers, pioneers, and innovators.
About the Award
Last year, we offered undergraduate students an exciting opportunity to compete for 1 of up to 82 awards; to be mentored full-time with a professor of their choice for 16 weeks, to receive a $6,000 award, and to gain valuable experience in their field of interest. We received 200 applications and funded 82 students. We are pleased to be able to offer an additional 20 awards this year, for a total of 102 awards.
Who is eligible?
* Full-time U of M students (must be enrolled in 24 credit hours at the voluntary withdrawal date)
* Have completed a minimum 24 credit hours at the University of Manitoba.
* Minimum degree GPA of 3.0 based on all credits completed at the time of application
* Cannot be held in conjunction with other competitive awards such as the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada’s Undergraduate Research Summer Award.
* Students who will be graduating in the Spring (May convocation) in which this award is tenable will not be eligible for the award.
* This award cannot be held more than twice by any recipient during their undergraduate program(s) at the University of Manitoba.
* Students must notify our office in advance of any travel off campus that relates to this award. Please indicate any off-campus activity on your acceptance form. If you become aware of any off-campus activity as a part of this award after the acceptance has been submitted, please notify Lindsey Troschuk by email before the activity occurs.
* Students must receive approval from our office for any changes to their award experience. For example, if you are no longer able to be supervised by the professor listed on your application you must receive approval for any changes.
What do you need to do?
1. Interview two professors (must be full-time, University professors, not Adjuncts or Instructors) to find out more about their areas of research, scholarly work or creative activity.
2. Write two 150-word summaries based on the two professors you have interviewed on their research, scholarly work or creative activities.
3. Choose one of the professors and write a 250-word rationale for your choice, indicating how this research, scholarly work or creative activity fits with your own long-term career aspirations.
4. Submit your paragraphs along with a completed application form to Lindsey Troschuk, email@example.com
5. You are encouraged to present the results of your research, scholarly work or creative activity at the annual Undergraduate Research Poster Competition to be held on October 27, 2016.
How do you apply?
Deadline to submit an application is February 15, 2016 and applications should contain:1. Completed URA application form
When will you hear about the decision?
All applicants for the University of Manitoba Undergraduate Research Award will be notified by the first week of April 2016. Submissions will be adjudicated by a committee appointed by the Vice-President (Research and International).
After receiving notification, each award recipient should contact their chosen professor to provide a 250 word (maximum) abstract of the research program, specifying how you will fit with and augment their research program. In cases where a student’s work is not directly linked to the professor’s research, scholarly work or creative activity the professor must indicate how they will ensure that you are being mentored in the area and discipline as an undergraduate researcher. Please fill in the URA Acceptance Form providing all required information, sign it and have your professor sign it. The signed form must be submitted to Lindsey Troschuk (290 Brodie Centre, 727 McDermot Ave, R3E 3P5) by April 15, 2016 to release your award.
Problems Using PDF Fillable Forms Online?
1.) Save the file to your computer and complete the form
2.) Trouble shooting instructions can be downloaded here: Fillable PDF Forms
Questions or problems contact: