Academics & Research Evaluation of Students
||Friday, 18 May 2018 (before 4:30 p.m.)
||ECE / BME Graduate Student Offices (E1-450)
Progress Reports are processed in order of receipt.
The submission of a "LATE" progress report may hinder your
ability to register on-time and/or require you to pay late fees.
- WHAT IS A PROGRESS REPORT (PR)?
- The Progress Report is an evaluation used by your advisor and your advisory committee to let you know how you are doing in the program (courses & research). The PROGRESS REPORT forces you to meet with your advisor and your advisory committee (if applicable) at least once a year to discuss and attend to problems before they become an issue.
- WHO DOES NOT NEED TO SUBMIT THE PROGRESS REPORT FORM?
- Occasional Students
- Students graduating THIS YEAR in February, May, or October
- Students who are on "Leaves of Absence" and will not return in time to submit a PROGRESS REPORT
- students who return from their Leaves during the Progress Report processing period MUST submit a Progress Report
- WHAT IS EVALUATED? (examples...)
- Is the Cumulative GPA 3.0 or higher?
- Is the Degree GPA 3.0 or higher?
- Are all grades ‘C+’ or greater?
- Are there any missing or “IP” (in progress) grades?
- Are there ‘CO’ grades that will require tracking?
- Is the student on track time-wise in his/her program, i.e. is the student running out of time?
- Has the student met the objectives stated on previous Progress Reports
- Has the student met the objectives stated by the Academic Advisor
- Has the student met the objectives stated by the Advisory Committee (if applicable)
- Is the student meeting the program requirements?
- thesis proposal
- IN NEED OF IMPROVEMENT: Students rated as "IN NEED OF IMPROVEMENT"
- An outline of measureable improvements and set deadlines as to when each task is to be successfully completed -- or a timeline MUST BE SUBMITTED with the Progress Report
- In this case, the student must successfully meet/complete each required improvement and show that he/she is back on track
- Each task is evaluated at its deadline by Advisor and Co-Advisor.
- A Progress Report MUST be submitted after each task evaluation deadline to the Graduate Student Advisor
- If a second consecutive "IN NEED OF IMPROVEMENT" assessment, then student will normally be WITHDRAWN from their program.
- PROGRESS REPORTs are issued each March by the Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Students are emailed in advance of the Progress Report distribution allowing them to discuss this with their Advisor and Co-Advisor and to begin organizing a Progress Report Meeting -- including Advisory Committee (if applicable)
- Progress Report forms are distributed to all Academic Advisors as soon as the forms are available
- Students should download a web transcript from their Aurora Account and bring it to Advisor and Committee members at the Progress Report meeting.
- After distribution, Students are notified allowing them to finalize the organization of their Progress Report Meeting
- It is the student's responsibility to make sure that their APR is completely filled-in and submitted on-time.
- Student's Aurora Accounts are put on-HOLD until FGS clears a late PROGRESS REPORT -- this can take 4-6 months as there are thousands of Progress Reports they must process
- Incomplete or incorrectly filled-in Progress Reports are returned to the student for corrections -- this may be after the deadline in which case the student must wait to register until their Progress Report is cleared by FGS
- Student who are IN NEED OF IMPROVEMENT must attach a task outline with their Progress Report otherwise the Progress Report is returned to the student -- this may be after the deadline in which case the student must wait to register until their Progress Report is cleared by FGS
- YOUR SIGNATURE IS REQUIRED ON THE PROGRESS REPORT
NOTE: Signing the PROGRESS REPORT does not indicate that you agree with comments made on the form, simply it indicates that you have SEEN & READ the form and it's contents.
- ADVISOR & COMMITTEE SIGNATURES: It si the responsibility of the to obtain the signatures of your Advisor, Co-Advisor, and Advisory Committee members
- Give the completed and signed PROGRESS REPORT to your Graduate Student Advisor for processing by the Deadline Date
Please keep a copy of your Progress Report BEFORE submitting the original to the Graduate Student Advisor.
- If your PROGRESS REPORT is not submitted or the submission is LATE
- you will not be allowed to register on-time for the FALL Term
- a HOLD will be put on your account until the Progress Report is PROCESSED by FGS
- HOLDs of this type can take up to 6-months to remove
- you may be required to pay a late fees
Remember, the PROGRESS REPORTs are meant as a helpful tool for you in your progression through your program. Do not take offense to any criticisms given in the PROGRESS REPORTs. If you have any questions regarding your program or progress or anything mentioned in the PROGRESS REPORTs please do not hesitate to speak to your ACADEMIC ADVISOR
CURRENT COURSE OFFERINGS
ECE SUPPLEMENTAL REGULATIONS
(exams, registration, payments, etc.)
GRADUATE CALENDAR / CATALOG
CODE OF CONDUCT--Plagiarism
CHEATING, PLAGIARISM, ETC.
(students, instructors, TAs)
EXAM & FINAL GRADES
COMPUTER ACCTS, FORMS...
- M. Sc.
- IIS / Overview
- Course Category (AX,AU,OS)
- Summer Registration (Mandatory)
- Progress Reports (Mandatory)
- ASG--Advisor Student Guidelines
- GradCon (Mandatory)
- LEAVES OF ABSENCE
- FAILED GRADES
- What to do
- Grade Appeals
- Student Advocacy
- SUPPLEMENTAL GUIDELINES
- Advance Credits (4.4.5)
- Transfer Credits (4.4.6)
- Transfer to Ph.D. (5.1.3)
- PROGRAM TRANSFERS:
- M.Sc. to Ph.D.
- M.Eng. to M.Sc.
- M.Sc. to M.Eng.
- Ph.D. to M.Sc.
- CHANGE REQUESTS
- Advisor or Committee Member
- Transfer Credits
- GRADES: CO, IP, Incomplete
- Deferred Exam Form
- Concurrent / Dual Registration
- Voluntary Withdrawal
- Authorized Withdrawal
-- Plagiarisms Software: iThenticate
RESEARCH ETHICS & COMPLIANCE
-- Templates, Guidelines, & Forms
ENVIRONMENT HEALTH & SAFETY
ECE GRADUATE COMMITTEE MEMBERS
FUNDING, AWARDS, JOBS
- TRAVEL AWARDS
- NSERC (Canadians Only)
- UMGF (All Grads)
- IGSS (Int'l Students)
- FGS EMERGENCY LOANS
- Funding & Award $$
- TA Wage Scale
TUITION & FEES
- Other Fees
- Compulsory Fees
- Incidental Fees
- Cost of Living Expenses
- Tuition Installment Plan
(International Students Only)
- Quick, General Info
- General Info & Services
- Registration Procedures
- Registering for Courses
- Acceptance of Offer (Letter)
- Paying Tuition & Fees
- Office Space & Mail
- Grad Students With Children
- Student University Guide
- ECE (mandatory)
- FGS (TBA via emails)
- International Students
GRADUATION / CONVOCATION
- THESIS DEADLINES
- Thesis Info
- Thesis Guidelines
- Thesis Checklist
- Thesis Online Submission
- THESIS SAMPLES
- Title Page
- Table of Contents
- Plagiarism Software: iThenticate
- ECE Graduand Info
APEGM, Iron Ring, Letters, etc.
- CONVOCATION !
UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA SERVICES
- International Centre for Students (ICS)
- ICS Post-Secondary Handbook
- Study Permit Info
- Off-Campus Work Permits
- Exchange Pgm
(Canadian & Intentional)
FACULTY OF GRADUATE STUDIES (FGS)
- FGS: Thesis Guideline & Forms
- Thesis Info
- Important Dates
- Programs & Thesis
- Awards & Scholarships
- Important Dates
(Donald W. Craik Library)
- Travel Grant
- Emergency Grant
- Special Projects Grant
- Student Award
- Teaching Award
- Mobile Print
- HEALTH / DENTAL Benefits
ECE GRAD STUDENT GROUP (ECE GSA)
ENGINEERING STUDENT GROUPS
MANITOBA / CIC INFO / SERVICE CANADA
MANITOBA PROVINCIAL HEALTH INSURANCE
(Canadian Students ONLY)
- Health Card
- Online Enrollment
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE
CIC: CITIZENSHIP & IMMIGRATION CANADA
- CIC web site
- VISA to Study in Canada
- RE-NEW / EXTEND Study Visa
- Application Processing Time
- Change Program / Institution
- Student Work Permit
- Post-Graduate Work Permit
- Letters of Invitation
- FORMS & GUIDES
- APPLY: Social Insurance Card (SIN Card) to Work
- APPLY: Universal Child Care
- Online Services
MANITOBA PROFESSIONAL ASSN.
ENGINEERS GEOSCIENTISTS MANITOBA (APEGM)
Association of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists of the Province of Manitoba
CONFERENCE PAPER / THESIS HELP
FGS WRITING STYLE: Papers, Thesis, etc.
- APA Style
- APA Basic Style Guide
- APA Style Tutorial
- MPA STYLE
- MLA Style
- MPA STYLE
IEEE Writing Style: IEEE Papers
- IEEE Style
- IEEE Citation Reference
- IEEE Artical Preparation & Submission
HELP FORM OTHER UNIVERSITIES
- Graduate Student Writing Kit
- Thesis Proposal
- How to write a thesis proposal
- Successful thesis proposals
- Components of a thesis proposal
- M.Sc. Thesis Proposal
- Ph.D. Thesis Proposal
- Guideline 01
- Guideline 02
- Research Papers:
- Lit. Reviews
- Lit. Reviews
- Example 01
- Example 02
- Writing an Abstract
- Abstract Presentations
- Effective Outlines
- Citing References
- APA Style