Health Insurance

All students must have health insurance when they arrive to study at the English Language Centre.  Students who have a study permit of six months or longer, are eligible to apply for free provincial health insurance provided by the Manitoba Government for international students. The application will be completed in the first week of the program.

If students do not have a study permit for 6 months or longer, they cannot apply for Manitoba Health. They must purchase supplementary health insurance prior to arriving in Winnipeg, or when they arrive. This coverage will be required to cover doctors’ visits, hospital (emergency) charges, prescription medications and other medical services.

IAEP students must have a valid Manitoba Health Insurance card, or supplementary health insurance.

Students must have any necessary medication required for their condition on their person and be able to self-administer in the event of a medical emergency (Ex. Epi-pen). ELC staff and faculty are not permitted to administer any medication; therefore, if a student is unable to do so, an ambulance will be called. The student will be responsible for the ambulance charge.

Manitoba Health Eligibility

  • Students must be on a study permit of longer than six months.
  • Students must live in Manitoba for at least six months in a 12-month period.
  • Spouses and children of students are also covered by this insurance if they are listed on the study permit of the student, or have a visitor visa and live in the country for 6 months in a 12-month period.

Documents Required for your Manitoba Health Card Application:

For information on how to apply for your Manitoba Health Card please visit:

Registration forms available at:

In person at:

Manitoba Health Registration and Client Services
300 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3M9
Phone: 204-786-7101

Toll Free: 1-800-392-1207
Fax: 204-783-2171

If you need to go to the hospital or see a doctor you need to bring your health card with you.