Building healthy habits: sexual health and wellness
The Health and Wellness Office at the University of Manitoba views sexual health and wellness with a sex-positive approach, and takes a broad view of healthy sexuality. Our goal is that you will feel comfortable discussing and learning about your bodies, relationships, consent, and communication. Everything you discuss with us is kept completely confidential.
Spotlight on sexual health
Did you know that 1 in 2 students would like more information from the University of Manitoba on sexually transmitted infection prevention? Or that 74% of students think they have not received enough information on preventing pregnancy?
Healthy U can provide you with information on both these topics, as well as on sex positivity, relationships, consent, and communication. They also provide free safer sex supplies. Drop in to Healthy U at 474 UMSU University Centre.
- Becoming comfortable with your sexuality improves your ability to make healthy choices and to respect others’ choices as well. If you are sexually active it is important to get tested for STIs at least once per year and with every change in partner, even if you don’t show symptoms.
- Condoms prevent many types of STIs, including HIV. However, they do not prevent against HPV.
- Poor body image has shown to significantly decrease sexual satisfaction in women. Receiving help for body image may improve your sexual experiences.
Get educated. Don’t be shy to use available resources. Not only will you become more informed about your sexual health, but education can boost your confidence.
Free condoms are available at multiple locations across campus. Connect with Healthy U for information on correct usage and to find out where you can access condoms.
Communication is key and consent is mandatory. Talk to your partner about safe and enjoyable sex to increase pleasure for everyone involved.
It is important to have regular discussions about healthy sexuality with your health care provider.
Sexual health resources
- University Health Service: 104 UMSU University Centre
- Student Counselling Centre: 474 UMSU University Centre
- Health and Wellness Office: 469 UMSU University Centre
- Healthy U: WILL BE UPDATED WITH OUR HEALTHY U page umanitoba.ca/student/health-wellness/healthyu
- Nine Circles Community Health Centre: 204-940-6001
- Women’s Health Clinic: 204-947-1517
- Klinic: 204-784-4090
- Sexual Education Resource Centre Manitoba