Graduate Studies Summer Registration Info
Summer Registration Overview
Commencing Summer Term 2016, all continuing Faculty of Graduate Studies students will be required to register in Summer Term in order to maintain continuous registration.
In past years, students have been required to register in each Fall and Winter Term, with Winter Term registration considered to extend through to the end of Summer. However, problems have been identified with respect to this past practice, including:
- Modification of the tax credit program to provide 12 months of credit with only 8 months of registration
- Liability issues with respect to unregistered students participating in laboratory and field work activities
Therefore, students in Faculty of Graduate Studies programs are required to maintain continuous registration throughout their period of study and until completion of the degree.
Summer Registration Exceptions
Exceptions are permitted for students who have been granted an exceptional or a parental leave of absence.
Students who have been granted a regular leave of absence must maintain continuous registration.
Summer Registration FAQ
Who is required to register for Summer Term?
- All graduate students continuing their program, regardless of their admission term, are required to register for Summer Term.
I am currently on a Leave of Absence. Am I still required to register for Summer Term?
- Exceptions are made to students who have been granted an exceptional leave of absence or a parental leave of absence only. Students who have been granted a regular leave of absence must maintain continuous registration and must therefore register for the Summer Term.
When can I register for Summer Term?
- Registration for Summer Term will open the week of March 21, 2016. Specific registration times will be visible in Aurora in early March.
What is the deadline to register for Summer Term?
- The deadline to register for Summer Term is May 6, 2016.
What will happen if I don’t register for Summer Term?
- As in the case of Fall and Winter Terms, students who fail to register may be subject to discontinuance from their program.
Am I required to take courses in the summer?
- Students who are not enrolled in course work will be required to register in the applicable Masters or Ph.D. courses: Thesis, Comprehensive or Candidacy Exam, Studio, Practicum etc. See table below:
||Master's Re-registration (MBA and MPA students)
||M.Eng. Project and Report
||MFA Thesis/Studio Exhibition
||Doctoral Candidacy Examination
Does the Summer Term registration affect my vacation entitlement?
- No, this change does not affect the three weeks of vacation over a 12 month period to which students are entitled.
Will I need to pay additional Program Fees or Continuing Fees by registering in Summer Term?
- Students will not be assessed Program Fees or Continuing Fees in Summer Term.
- Applicable organization and ancillary fees will be assessed as follows:
- Students registered in the GRAD 70XX and GRAD 80XX registration courses will be assessed only the Sport & Rec Fee (exception: students in the Master of Fine Arts program will also be assessed the Art Technology Fee ($12.50 in the Summer term)).
- Students who register in courses that are not part of their program-rated Graduate Program (i.e., Occasional, Pre-Masters, Visiting, Visiting Exchange, Leaving Exchange Students) will be assessed tuition (if applicable), tech fees, and GSA fees.
- Students who register in courses that are part of the course-rated Graduate Program (i.e., MBA, MPA, MSWD) will be assessed tuition, endowment (if applicable), GSA fees, and tech fees.
- Students who are admitted in Summer 2016 term will be assessed all of the above plus Student Service Fees (i.e., Library, registration and service fees).
I received an International Graduate Student Entrance Scholarship (IGSES) or an International Graduate Student Scholarship (IGSS). Will I receive a portion of the funds in the Summer Term?
- No, the IGSES and IGSS award will continue to be evenly disbursed in the Fall and Winter Term.