Revision Date: March 1989
Classification: Technician 6
Unit: C.U.P.E. 1482
Hay Point Range: 400-480
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level are often responsible for recommending the selection of junior technical positions, training and supervising them and may participate in their performance evaluation. Some positions may implement research projects. Administratively, they may coordinate expenditures to keep within a prescribed budget.
Positions at this level may make a direct contribution to independent research and scientific publications and are frequently involved in advising and training graduate students.
General direction is received from a senior technician, academic staff member, department head or director.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administers department laboratories or workshops including consultation with researchers, allocating projects and daily workloads, selecting staff and working within budgeted allocations.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of specialized equipment that requires extensive theoretical and/or practical knowledge. This involves instructing staff and students in its use and operation, and data interpretation using manual and automated means.
- Selects, orders and maintains inventories of equipment and supplies.
- Provides statistical charts, graphs and drawings of machinery or devices for research, publication and teaching.
- Participates in developing and refining new procedures and in establishing and maintaining quality control standards.
- Conducts experiments, calculates results including computer calculations and programs where applicable.
- Designs and evaluates programs used for teaching or research purposes or for public presentations.
- Lectures to students in classroom situations or laboratory tutorials.\
- Prepares administrative and technical reports. Provides advice and guidance to academics, graduate students, post- doctoral fellows and technical subordinates on technical and practical matters.
- Co-authors research publications including preparation and presentation.
- Responsible for keeping abreast of developments in general area of expertise.
- Required to obtain knowledge of and comply with safety policies applicable to the workplace.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education and Experience
- Ph.D. in related study area with three years related experience.
- or -
- Masters degree in related study area with five years related experience.
- or -
- Bachelors degree or Community College Technology graduate in a related discipline with ten years related experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to supervise.
- Ability to work within budget allocation.
- Ability to conduct independent research.
- Ability to plan, organize and administer projects.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.