Revision Date: March 1989
Classification: Technician 5
Unit: C.U.P.E. 1482
Hay Point Range: 329-399
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level may provide specialist services through the implementation of a highly skilled technology. Some positions may operate a sophisticated and highly complex instrument(s). The work involves the direction of students and/or subordinates, and a creative role in designing, constructing and adapting equipment for research and teaching procedures.
General supervision and direction are available; however, these employees are expected to plan and organize their own work, the work of subordinates, and most functions of the area independently.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Instructs, demonstrates, advises and assists with skilled techniques to undergraduate and graduate students on projects.
- Maintains and repairs apparatus, used in research and by graduate students on projects.
- Studies and analyses data, interprets results, prepares reports for reference, computer application or publication.
- Supervises installations, repairs and services equipment for projects, including the work of other technicians.
- Designs, fabricates and tests equipment used for research or teaching purposes.
- Prepares teaching notes, samples and other material for classes or laboratories as required.
- Provides statistical charts, graphs, drawings and related material for circulation, publication or teaching.
- Keeps inventories and requisition supplies for respective areas.
- Maintains, operates, repairs and fabricates apparatus in special research laboratories; e.g. high voltage and microwave antenna laboratories.
- Required to obtain knowledge of and comply with safety policies applicable to the workplace.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education and Experience
- University Bachelor of Science degree together with five years experience.
- or -
- Graduate from a recognized institute of advanced technology together with five years experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated proficiency in and awareness of practices and developments related to the field of work.
- Initiative, sound judgement, and the ability to work and communicate effectively with others, which may include the training and direction of others.
- Proficiency in the preparation of accurate reports and related material for circulation, teaching and/or publications.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.