Revision Date: March 1989
Classification: Technician 2
Unit: C.U.P.E. 1482
Hay Point Range: 181-221
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Following experimental designs established by an academic staff member, graduate student or more senior technicians, positions at this level provide routine standardized technical assistance in laboratory, workshops, drafting room or other engineering areas. Incumbents work under general supervision of a more senior technician or academic staff member to whom specific problems are referred.
Incumbents may participate in the training and orientation of new employees at the same or more junior level, using established guidelines and procedures.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Constructs, repairs and maintains electronic and electrical apparatus.
- May be required to fabricate equipment by machining, welding, woodworking, etc.
- Assists in the construction, repair, maintenance and operation of equipment.
- Demonstrates use of equipment to staff and students.
- Prepares test specimens, drawings or illustrations and conducts routine tests and measurements.
- Prepares simple graphs and tables and maintains accurate records.
- Required to obtain knowledge of and comply with safety policies applicable to the workplace.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education and Experience
- High school completion with job related options plus two years related experience.
- or -
- Some post secondary education is preferred.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Capable of learning and mastering new techniques.
- Ability to adapt techniques.
- Good manual dexterity required.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.