Dental Assistant 1
Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Dental Assistant 1
Hay Point Range: 145 – 180
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Dental Assistant 1s provide chairside assistance to dental students and professors, including setting up dental clinics and obtaining required supplies and equipment.
The work of these positions is governed by standard practice and well-defined guidelines and involve assisting in the introductory training of new employees hired to positions of the same level. Employees at this level work under close supervision.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides chairside assistance to students and professional staff in the general clinic or a more specialized area, including orientation, operation and cleanliness of units and instruments and the demonstration of standard techniques.
- Monitors cleanliness and orderliness of dental units and other clinic areas. Following established procedures, ensures asepsis is maintained. Reports breaches of asepsis to senior staff.
- As required, exposes radiographs and makes impressions.
- Cleans instruments, equipments and trays and prepares them for sterilization.
- Replenishes consumable supplies. Reports any malfunctions of equipment and completes repair slips.
- Assists in Main Clinic Dispensary and in Central Sterilization.
- Sets up designated dental operatories with instruments and supplies.
- Advises supervisor of any needlestick injuries and follows established procedures.
- Following established procedures, closes clinic when working the late shift.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
Successful completion of a recognized Phase II Dental Assisting/ Chairside course.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work well with students, staff and the general public.
- Physically capable of performing the duties as assigned, which includes working in awkward positions and sitting and standing for periods of up to three hours.
Other Job-Related Qualifications
- Satisfactory work record, including attendance and punctuality.
- Current CPR course.
- Formal WHMIS training an asset.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.