Revision Date: March 2006
Classification: Library Supervisor 3
Hay Point Range : 327-377
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level supervise a large number of library assistants in a complex public service or technical services area of a library unit/section. This level differs from the previous level due to the increased size and scope of the area supervised, the greater independence exercised and/or the additional technical knowledge required. Interaction with the public is routine. These positions are unit/section supervisors who assign and monitor tasks performed by any library support staff and may also be specialists in a complex function.
Incumbents work independently under the general direction of an academic librarian in carrying out their assigned responsibilities. They are expected to show good judgment in applying a broad knowledge of the techniques related to circulation, cataloguing, reference, acquisitions, searching, checking and other library practices together with specific specialty knowledge in handling day-to-day problems including facilities. Some positions may be required to respond to staffing or facility issues outside of normal working hours. Maintains good public relations with library patrons. In regular contacts with staff, students and the public, they are expected to seek advice where matters of policy or precedent do not exist. They will also make recommendations on policies and procedures as required within a unit/section. Incumbents have responsibility for the security of library premises and for collection and deposit of library monies. Incumbents represent the Libraries with external companies in the execution of contracts.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises and participates in operating a public service or technical services area.
- Supervises, organizes and schedules the work for support staff serving in a library unit/section.
- Interviews and recommends selection for approval, trains, evaluates performance and disciplines staff as required; refers unresolved or more serious problems to immediate supervisor.
- Participates in maintaining the procedures manuals and other work tools within a unit/section.
- Participates in writing and revising procedures to regulate work practices within their own administrative unit/section.
- Participates in review of policies and procedures for the library as requested.
- Answers questions, gives direction and instruction on the use of library tools and collections.
- Maintains and submits hourly payroll information and shift premiums.
- Compiles regular statistics related to operations of the unit/section.
- Supervises the maintenance of appropriate records, files and supplies for the unit/section.
- Maintains good cooperation and liaises with other units/sections, staff and outside
- agencies, initiating correspondence when required.
- Participates in the procedures related to the allocation and expenditure of budgeted funds.
- Responsible for change float and money collected for services, lost/damaged materials and fines.
- Deals tactfully with patrons stopped by the security system, referring any cases of obvious and/ or vandalism to the Head as required.
- Serves on library committees as appointed or elected.
- Supervises and participates in technical services functions.
- May conduct bibliographic searches in various national catalogues, specialized subject indexes and library databases.
- Supervises cash handling and deposit procedures and handles difficulties.
- Other duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for satisfactory job performance are:
Level of Formal Education/Training Required
- Diploma from a library technician's program is required or equivalent relevant library experience and /or training is required.
- A University education in a related field is required.
- Experience with microcomputers and the Integrated Library System is essential.
- Six years of directly related academic library experience and/or training is required.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience is required.
Skills and Abilities
- Positions require keyboarding skills and some positions require advanced skills in word processing and various software.
- Demonstrated good judgment and detailed knowledge of library techniques and practices is essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and to accurately follow both written and verbal English instruction is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, train and organize the work of others is required.
- Ability to deal effectively with staff, students and the public is required.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently is required.
- Ability to work in harmony with others is required.
- Ability to perform detailed tasks quickly and accurately is essential.
- Ability to work effectively in peak periods is required.
Must be physically capable of performing the duties as assigned.
Other Job-Related Qualifications
- Knowledge of a language in addition to English is required in some positions.
- Knowledge of a relevant subject area is required
- Satisfactory work record, including attendance and punctuality, is required.
Questions or Comments? Contact Jindra Vancura at (204) 474-8288