Become a Healthy U volunteer
Do you have a passion for Health and Wellness? Do you want experience and training in health promotion and prevention? Are you interested in an opportunity to be involved in the health and well-being of your peers? Then Healthy U at the University of Manitoba is looking for you!
On this page
Why volunteer with Healthy U?
The Healthy U volunteer program is an opportunity for students to become health leaders on campus and gain hands-on experience in the field of health promotion and prevention. A Healthy U volunteer is a highly trained individual who is committed to educating their peers and raising awareness on a variety of health and wellness topics related to mental health, sexual health and substance use that may affect students during their time at university and beyond.
What do Healthy U volunteers do?
Healthy U volunteers provide mental health, sexual health, and overall wellness education through office hours, outreach events, workshops and presentations to groups, and online content.
Starting in February, once per week, each Healthy U volunteer will be required to fill drop-in office hours for 2 hours per week to meet with students and provide support. Office hours are not required during the final examination period – Healthy U volunteers are invited to volunteer to staff office hours during those times.
Once per month, plan, design, create and host an interactive tabling outreach event to educate your peers on health-related topics
Once per semester, facilitate interactive and engaging presentations and/or workshops to students
Contribute to online health and wellness content including social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook) on health-related topics, contribute to the Healthy U Blog as well as promote Healthy U activities through UM Today, Student Weekly, etc.
Promoting health and wellness resources on and off campus
Collaborate with other student groups or organization/departments on campus to address specific health and wellness needs by supporting, collaborating and attending health and wellness related events on campus such as Pet Therapy and Mental Health Awareness weeks.
Examples of past Healthy U initiatives:
- Roaming baskets in libraries across campus
- Sex Pub Trivia Nights and Self-care Bingo in the Hub
- Stress Management and Body Image Workshops in the Student Counselling Centre
- Interactive tabling events including holiday-themed consent and condom giveaways, self-care stations, and U of M mental health resource map.
What is expected of Healthy U volunteers?
Students who are chosen to be part of the program are required to:
- attend and complete mandatory training and team-building on Saturday, January 16, 2021 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.* and Friday, January 22, 2021 from 2:30 p.m to 5:30 p.m.*
- be available each Friday for the rest of January and February from 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. for additional topic-related training.
- be available each Friday during the academic year from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. for Healthy U team meetings.
- be committed to the program for an average of 3.5 to 6 hours per week for the fall and winter semesters.
- commit to the program for both terms.
- be enrolled as a University of Manitoba student for the duration of the 2020-2021 academic year.
- intend to return as a University of Manitoba student in the 2021-2022 academic year
*schedule is tentative and subject to change
What are the benefits of being part of Healthy U?
- Develop highly sought-after skills transferable to the workforce.
- Gain experience functioning in the field of health and wellness.
- Be involved in a multi-pronged approach (one-on-one service delivery, workshops, presentations, online content, and outreach) to address the health education needs of your peers.
- Contribute to the betterment of the health and wellness of the entire campus community.
- Be trained and supervised by health and well-being professionals.
- Gain a sense of community and belonging by being part of a group of committed, passionate individuals.
- Take Mental Health First Aid.
- University of Manitoba Co-Curricular Record recognition.
We are looking for someone who is:
- committed and caring
- disciplined and driven
- a team-player
Someone who demonstrates:
- a strong interest in health and wellness.
- positive energy
- strong communication skills
- a willingness to do public speaking and approach students to speak with them
- a willingness to be a positive role model
- a familiarity with social media and/or basic computer skills
Apply to become a Healthy U volunteer
Due to the disruptions to the University schedule caused by COVID-19 we are not recruiting for Healthy U at this time. Hopefully, applications will be accepted shortly for the 2021 Winter and 2021/2022 year. Successful applicants will be contacted in January for interviews which may be done in-person or over the phone depending on current best-practice recommendations. Training will take place in January 2021.
For more information contact: Britt Harvey, Health and Wellness Educator, email@example.com
Health and Wellness office
Room 469 UMSU University Centre
65 Chancellor’s Circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada