Offered: fall, winter, spring
Explore a wide variety of recreational activities focusing on fair play, teamwork and participation. Activities may include:
- Drive 'n' dunk
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. with a half hour lunch break.
Hours/day: 4 hours of rec
Climb to new heights under the supervision of our certified wall leaders on our indoor climbing wall at the Active Living Centre. Our qualified climbing staff, trained by a Level 1 climbing gym instructor, will introduce you to safe climbing and help you explore various routes and bouldering.
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Hours/day: 1 climbing, 3 rec
Climb to new heights under the supervision of our certified Wall Leaders on our indoor climbing wall at the Active Living Centre. Our qualified climbing staff (trained by a Level 1 Climbing Gym Instructor) will introduce you to safe climbing and help you explore various routes and bouldering. Bookings include access to a ‘party room’ for 1-hour after your climb time (supervision and activities are not provided).
Offered: Saturdays & Sundays
Day/Time: Saturdays - 12:30pm, Sundays – 11:00am
Hours/day: 1.5 Climbing
Minimum Fee: $275
Climbing Party Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I book a climbing party? All climbing parties must be booked on the form found here.
2. When can I book a climbing party? We accept booking requests for climbing parties from September to April on Saturdays and Sundays only. Bookings are accepted on a first come first serve basis and are based on wall availability.
3. How much do climbing parties cost? $275 per party, up to 20 children $20/each additional child
4. Do you require a deposit? No, we do not require a deposit to book your party.
5. When is payment due? Full payment is due on the day of your party. Payment can be made at the customer service desk in the Active Living Centre.
6. Is there a minimum or maximum number of climbers required for a party? We recommend a minimum of 10 climbers and maximum of 30 children.
7. What age do you need to be to be able to climb? We recommend that children be at least 7 years old in order to be able to successfully climb our wall. All climbers must be at least 22lbs to climb safely.
8. What is your staff to climber ratio? 1 staff: 10 climbers
9. Are waiver forms required for each individual? Yes, all climbers (under the age of 18) must submit a signed waiver form by a legal parent/guardian prior to climbing our wall. Children will not be allowed to climb unless a signed waiver form has been received. Waiver forms will be provided electronically ahead of time to the party organizer to distribute to all of the party guests. Extra copies of the waiver form will be available on the day of the party if needed. Please bring all signed waiver forms with you on the day of your party. A Mini U staff member will be collecting them prior to climbing our wall.
10. How long do the children climb for? How many turns do they get? All climbing parties are scheduled for 90 minutes in the climbing room. The first 5-10 minutes will be spent going over safety rules and outfitting the climbers in their gear. The rest of the time participants are free to climb! Our staff do their best to ensure equal climb time among all climbers.
11. Is there a party room available? A party room may be available for you upon request. If a space is available, this will be at no cost to you. Please indicate your request for a party room in the initial email. When available, the party room will be added to your booking. You are responsible for supplying any food, beverages and paper goods. Please leave the room in the condition in which it was found. The room will remain locked. However, the University is a public space and as such Mini U Programs is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items.
12. Where do we park on the day of the party? Parking is free on campus on weekdays after 4:30p.m. and on weekends in any of the student/staff lots. Be sure to watch out for 24 hour reserved spots. For your convenience, here is a link to the University of Manitoba’s parking map. We recommend parking in either ALC or U lot. http://umanitoba.ca/maps/
13. Where do we meet on the day of the party? Please meet our designated Mini U staff member at the customer service desk in the Active Living Centre located at 430 University Crescent. Please arrive at least 5 minutes prior to your party’s start time.
14. Do the children need to bring indoor running shoes? Yes, please ensure all children bring along a pair of indoor running shoes. Climbing shoes may be available at no charge to you. Sizes and quantity vary and are not guaranteed.
Let us build your group a custom program that best meets your needs, interests and dates. We are happy to partner with those interested in booking for multiple days and/or weeks.
Contact: Drew Sheffield, leadership and community program coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Group bookings are subject to date availability. Please request your date by filling out our group booking form. Within 3 business days our team will either confirm your booking or contact you to discuss alternative dates and details.
A note on participant numbers
We understand that your group size may change leading up to your scheduled date. Changes of 1 to 15 participants will be accepted fourteen days before your date. Fees will not be modified within 2 weeks of the start date.
Our team will send an invoice to your group organizer or organization fourteen days before your start date. Payment is required on the day of your program. Please make cheques out to The University of Manitoba.
Group organizers are responsible for collecting individual waivers per participant and presenting them to our team on the day of your booking.
1-25 participants: $6.50/hour/person
26-50 participants: $5.50/hour/person
51-99 participants: $4.50/hour/person
100-149 participants: $4.00/hour/person
150+ participants: $3.50/hour/person
1-50 participants: $8.00/hour/person