Goals and Objectives
- Provide an opportunity to explore Family Medicine as a career
- Provide an opportunity to explore career possibilities in communities that students may be considering working in
- Allow the student to gain more experience in Family Medicine
- Provide students with clinical experiences in the management of patient problems in a variety of primary care settings. Emphasis will be on skills of interviewing, physical assessment, data gathering and contextual patient care
- Provide students in rural electives with the opportunity to develop skills in a less formal setting and offer hands-on exposure to a wide range of medical situations that are often not available in a larger urban teaching centre
Family Medicine Clerkship Objectives
This information has been recently updated. Please click for more info.
Sites are available in both urban and rural locations
- Placement at teaching clinics require that you take call (you will be buddied with a resident)
- Each community site is different
- Some sites may have mandatory call
- Some sites are negotiable
IMGs have restricted dates (please see UGME IMG guidelines)
Minimum or Maximum Period of Time
- Community sites (rural & urban): 2-4 weeks
- Sports Medicine (limited placement): 2 week electives only
- Teaching sites: 3–4 week electives only
If you are requesting more than one placement, please be advised that you will be placed on a holding list until all students have been assigned their first placement.
The cost for accomodations will be different at each rural site. Note that the university does not cover travel or lodgings.