The Student Exchange Program between the University of Manitoba and Lviv Polytechnic National University is a multifaceted learning experience for undergraduate students, combining academic training with cultural and linguistic immersion and the development of personal contacts. From the perspective of the universities and the countries involved, it contributes to the enhancement of international relations and shared perspectives on education and social and cultural issues. Ukraine is undergoing fundamental political, economic and social restructuring. Many new occupations are emerging as new professions in Ukraine at this crucial historic moment, and the program has the potential of becoming a significant force in these developments.
The student exchange agreement was established in 2002. The program is available to eligible undergraduate students at the University of Manitoba. The program is based on the principle of reciprocity, that is, it provides for students from each university to spend time at each other’s home institution.
Selection of Students
The home institution will nominate students to be exchanged on the basis of the following criteria:
- The student must have a good academic standing.
- The student must satisfy all admission requirements of the host institution.
- The student must have completed a minimum of one (1) year study at the home institution prior to enrollment in the exchange program.
- The student will enroll in courses constituting at least sixty (60%) percent of the normal full-time.
- The student must demonstrate an appropriate level of fluency in the Ukrainian language.
Host Institution Student Assistance
- The host institution will assist in the arrangement of accommodation for exchange students.
- The host institution will ensure that adequate reception and orientation is provided for exchange students.
- The host institution will provide ongoing advice and support for exchange students through the contact person, as required. Some tutorial assistance will be available.
Academic Program and Student Status
- All students will remain enrolled as regular degree candidates at the University of Manitoba while on exchange and will not be enrolled as candidates for degrees from Lviv Polytechnic National University.
- Students are eligible for scholarships, bursaries, loans or other financial aid awarded toward their course of study at the University of Manitoba.
- At the exchange participant’s request, the host institution will forward his/her results to the designated office at the home institution. Credits toward the student’s degree are to be awarded by the home institution, subject to faculty approval.
Institutional Student Fees
- Exchange students will pay normal University of Manitoba tuition fees, based on their registered course load, to the home institution. Other compulsory student association fees will also be paid to the home institution unless exempted.
- The host institution will exempt exchange students from tuition and application fees.
For further information, please contact the program coordinator in the Department of German & Slavic Studies.