Program and Tour Guide Assistant
The Program and Tour Guide Assistant will work with the Discovery Centre Coordinator and Centre Manager, on site, at the Farm and Food Discovery Centre (FFDC) located at the Glenlea Research Station. The FFDC seeks to enhance public awareness and understanding of modern, sustainable food production through interactive exhibits and displays along with a number of public events and educational programs. Families, industry, students and summer day campers visit the FFDC and participate in hands-on inquiry based lessons that start with learning about farm production practices and end in the kitchen.
• Deliver curriculum-linked programs to school groups and summer day camps
• Provide tours of the Farm and Food Discovery Centre and dairy barn
• Assist with coordination of special events at the Farm and Food Discovery Centre
• Provide customer service for general public visitors
• Assist in set up and take down of program activities and events
• Responsible for handling cash, debit and credit transactions from admissions and event registrations
• Assist in general cleanup of the Discovery Room and Centre
• Other duties as required
• Experience working with the public and children specifically
• Knowledge of agriculture practices and food industry
• Proficient in computer applications including email, word processing and spreadsheets
• Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are required
• Must be reliable and motivated to work independently and as part of a team
• Must be planning to enroll as a student for 2020-2021 school year
Note: The position is located at the Bruce D. Campbell Farm & Food Discovery Centre, so a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
Hours: 9:00am – 4:30pm, Tuesday to Saturday
Duration: April to September with possibility of extension
Application Deadline: Thursday, January 30, 2020, 11:59 pm.
To apply send a resume and cover letter to:
Kristen Matwychuk, Discovery Centre Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.